Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

My generator is a 5.0kw Onan Emerald Plus and I'm tired of paying $10.99 for the Onan oil filter. Does anyone have a cross reference for the Onan oil filter, part #122-06645 that I'm currently using, to another brand such as Fram, Puralator, Wix, etc.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #2

My generator is a 5.0kw Onan Emerald Plus and I'm tired of paying $10.99 for the Onan oil filter. Does anyone have a cross reference for the Onan oil filter, part #122-06645 that I'm currently using, to another brand such as Fram, Puralator, Wix, etc.?

Old 04-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #3

The Onan filter has a valve that prevents a cold start without oil; the competitive filters may be cheaper but unlikely to be of equal quality. Here is a posting from Onan that better explains . So, just be sure you are getting apples to apples when you look at price.

Oil Filters
Cummins Onan RV oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. Other manufacturers' oil filters often do not have bypass valves. As these "will-fit" filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. Other "will-fit" oil filters do contain bypass valves but they do not determine at what PSI the valve opens. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ecker:
The Onan filter has a valve that prevents a cold start without oil; the competitive filters may be cheaper but unlikely to be of equal quality. Here is a posting from Onan that better explains . So, just be sure you are getting apples to apples when you look at price.

Oil Filters
Cummins Onan RV oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. Other manufacturers' oil filters often do not have bypass valves. As these "will-fit" filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. Other "will-fit" oil filters do contain bypass valves but they do not determine at what PSI the valve opens. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with what Ecker is inferring to. While the price of the Onan OEM filter may seem high, it is a small price to pay considering what a possible inferior substitute could cause. If you in fact do go otherwise, ask the supplier if their filters have the valve in question inside their filters.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #5

Interesting stuff! I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #6

Yopu do not have to buy the Onan filter. Cross the Onan number to any GOOD aftermarket filter. Go to the webiste for that filter mfr. and it will tell you if it has a bypass valve and an anti drain back. I bet it does!!

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do a lot of Dry Camping, in the state and national parks,with no electric hook ups, you might want to consider the value your "Working " generator ofers to you and pay the OEM price.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #8

When iot comes to some oil filters it is best to buy the OEM The Cummins Filtartion filters for any DP are one of the best on the market. Worth the price. When it comes to Onana it is not worth the price. I am not familiar with that particular generator but mots Onans use some sort of Japanese engine such as Kubota. Onan does not make any oilf ilters. They buy them on the open marketplace and they come from Japan and other Asian nations. Nothing high tech about these filters. Even companies such as Wix often do not make their own filters for Onan applications. They buy them from the same source as does Onan.

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel uses an Onan 0122-0833. They run about $16.00 ++ at normal retail. It cross references to NAPA Gold 1064 that runs about $7.50-$9.50 retail. Any NAPA store should be able to find a cross reference to NAPA Gold for your Onan filter.