Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Old carpet stains...

I have an old MH that has some carpet staining issues. I do not have the time or ambition to tackle tearing it all out, and am wondering.....could I mix up some fabric dye in a spray bottle and make my light blue carpet a dark blue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Before you go thru all that, I would try mixing some oxi-clean in a spray bottle and see if it will remove the stain. I have used this very successfully in the past with out loosing the original color of the fabric.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Will give it a tey, thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Most carpet fiber will not dye with routinely available dyes, e.g. Rit. You can buy carpet dyes online, but they are fairly expensive. Google 'carpet dye' and you should find them.

Hand dying an entire carpet is likley to give uneven results, which may be little better than the stains you now have.

We had three large spots where something we spilled had bleached out the carpet, leaving an ugly yellow-orange "stain". We were able to treat those areas with spot carpet coloring, which is a crayon-like coating that colors in the spots. The coating will wash out with a carpet cleaning treatment, but it is easy enough to re-apply.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice! I tried some of tge Oxy Carpet cleaner and rented a rug doctor....and the stains are gone!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmover View Post
Thanks for the advice! I tried some of tge Oxy Carpet cleaner and rented a rug doctor....and the stains are gone!
You may have them bleed up from the padding again but with regular cleaning to maintain things they will eventually be gone for good.

A couple of portable fans can help get the carpet to dry faster which can help prevent a stain from bleeding or wicking back up from underneath as fast.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #7

I have had very good luck getting stains out of carpets and seats using Spray nine and a scrub brush. Get the area wet with the spray nine, work it with a scrub brush, then blot it with paper towel. repeat this several times until the stain is gone. Then do it all over again using water (to remove the spray nine).
The cloth seats and carpet in my truck get quite dirty from work (oilfield), and this works very well for me.
Just make sure that you try it in a inconspicuous area first.
acoilfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #8

Thanks, glad to see I am.not the only oilfield guy here trying to learn about some new stuff!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Spray nine or Dawn dish-washing detergent are about the best I have found for cutting the smell of sour crude/gas.
acoilfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #10

I replaced my carpet with laminate flooring and can't seem to see any of the old stains anymore.