Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

old satellite dish, work with current systems?

I have a 2004 Keystone Raptor fifth wheel toy hauler with an apparently factory installed winegard satellite dish on the roof. It is a manual crank up dish, with no electronics I can find except for a little box on the roof inside with AA battery and a tiny lcd readout. No satellite box or any such in the tv bay, and to confound the problem I have no idea which of the jumbled cables feeding in there actually goes to the dish (I am assuming one of them does). I can probably dig in the literature and figure out the model if needed, but in general:

1. what are the odds of a dish that old actually working with a current satellite receiver at all?
2. If it will work, would I actually be better off and save myself headaches to replace it with a newer unit?
3. If I replace it, is it worth the trouble to replace it with another roof unit, or just get a carry out type dish?

Any way to test everything before I go out and buy a receiver and get a subscription just to find out I can't use it anyway?

On a separate note, I've looked every where on this camper, and I can't find anywhere for a cable tv in outlet. The last park we were in I had to run the cable through the window and hook it directly to the tv. Surely I am missing something.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduerden View Post
I have a 2004 Keystone Raptor fifth wheel toy hauler with an apparently factory installed winegard satellite dish on the roof. It is a manual crank up dish, with no electronics I can find except for a little box on the roof inside with AA battery and a tiny lcd readout. No satellite box or any such in the tv bay, and to confound the problem I have no idea which of the jumbled cables feeding in there actually goes to the dish (I am assuming one of them does). I can probably dig in the literature and figure out the model if needed, but in general:
1. what are the odds of a dish that old actually working with a current satellite receiver at all?
2. If it will work, would I actually be better off and save myself headaches to replace it with a newer unit?
3. If I replace it, is it worth the trouble to replace it with another roof unit, or just get a carry out type dish?
Any way to test everything before I go out and buy a receiver and get a subscription just to find out I can't use it anyway?
Thanks!
dduerden
Chances are that a '04 or newer Winegard satellite dish will work perfectly fine, (my '98 Kingdome has for 17 years).

To test your roof mounted Winegard satellite dish I suggest you borrow 2 working satellite receivers......(one from a DirecTV customer with a a paid and working DirecTV program subscription... and one from a Dish Netwrok customer with a paid and working Dish Network program subscription), and temporarily hook each one up in your RV.

Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had an automatic disk set for Direct TV in our 2002 DSDP that we factory ordered iin 2002. It worked fine with our new Direct TV receivers. And those same receivers work fine with the Magna's MotoSat 5 LNB dish we have now, although I do have to turn the dish controller off when it starts downloading info or it keeps on searching. Should replace the controller and that would make it truly automatic again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the replies.

That brought up a question I hadn't thought of, is it for Dish or Direct TV, can I tell the difference without trying both? Or will it work for either? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never used satellite of any kind. Actually that's not quite true, the parents had a 10' dish in the yard back in the 80's, but that doesn't count.

I've got some time to figure it out, we are going back to the Keys in December and there is no cable tv at our CG and only two (spanish) over the air stations. In past years we just wore out the Red Box while we were there. But that gets old.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

The dish will work fine. The determining factor will be the LNB and that can be replaced, but may not need to. If the dish has 3 adjustments, up and down, side by side and "skew", it will work on both DirecTV and Dish. But you will need to know what those adjustments are for your location in order to make it work. Most likely you would need a standard definition receiver to get a satellite signal. So it isn't as easy as connecting a receiver, not every receiver will work depending on whether it's HD or standard def. Standard usually will work with any dish. If your RV was not factory wired for cable you will need to add it. I would be surprised to find a 2004 did not have a cable outlet installed but other like owners could help more. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduerden View Post
Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the replies.

That brought up a question I hadn't thought of, is it for Dish or Direct TV, can I tell the difference without trying both? Or will it work for either? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never used satellite of any kind. Actually that's not quite true, the parents had a 10' dish in the yard back in the 80's, but that doesn't count.

I've got some time to figure it out, we are going back to the Keys in December and there is no cable tv at our CG and only two (spanish) over the air stations. In past years we just wore out the Red Box while we were there. But that gets old.
dduerden
I'm a DirecTV customer... but at my home I use a DireTV receiver with a 18 inch "DISH" dish.
When I got my then 5 year old coach there's was a "stationary", (not an "in motion"), Kingdome on the roof.
However the Kingdome was set up for Dish network reception.
It had to be electronically changed/reprogrammed to work with the DirecTV receiver from my home.

Me thinks your "manual crank up Winegard dish" will work with either DirecTV or Dish...but you may have to try both......(unless you get lucky and it works with the first one you try).

Mel
96 Safari
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it is a crank up (The digital display is elevation) odds are good it will work... sort of.. with either Dish or DirecTV (But not DirecHDTV)

First: Single LNB Means one coax fitting, can run ONE receiver at a time
DUAL LNB one lens, 2 coax fittings, can run 2 or more (with proper switching) receivers.

Now the important stuff: your dish is likely a SOLO (SIngle or dual) LNB and thus can see one sat at a time, I believe it's in the KU band which covers DirecTV and all 3 Dish Birds.. So it will work,, Just no HD on Direc and on Dish you may have to re-point every time you change channels. This is annoying.

On some DirecHDTV receivers the 18" round antenna option is grayed out, It will not work with those devices.

Recommendation: Upgrade
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
You will probably need to replace the battery in the digital elevation finder - unless it is directly wired to 12 volts.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #9

I have the same dish on a 2002 FW Expedition. Mine does not work! I suspect it is the LNB, but haven't put much time into troubleshooting it.

Anyone know how to test it?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I have the same dish on a 2002 FW Expedition. Mine does not work! I suspect it is the LNB, but haven't put much time into troubleshooting it.

Anyone know how to test it?
You should be able to run a diagnostic using the satellite set up in the receiver. It will do a system chack and let you know if anything is wrong. But it's hard to say since "mine does not work" can mean a lot of things. Chuck
Old 08-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
You should be able to run a diagnostic using the satellite set up in the receiver. It will do a system chack and let you know if anything is wrong. But it's hard to say since "mine does not work" can mean a lot of things. Chuck

Thanks

I went through all of that with DirecTV and Winegard (awesome customer service at Winegard) and we just determined that the dish didn't work. I am actually planning to replace it with a Travel'r but saw this thread and figured I would put it out there.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Well the dish part can't be an issue. Try and borrow an LNB if you can and swap it out to see what happens. Chuck
Old 08-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just replace it with a Trav'ler. You need to know what service your are going with first. As it will make a difference which Trav'ler is installed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

old satellite dish, work with current systems?

We have direcTV... Like I said, no issues. Was just trying to get the current satellite going for a few races and camping trips this year. It was going to be replaced regardless due to not having HD.

Tags
dish, satellite