Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Older coaches banned from some parks ?

1994 32H Bounder, 41k miles. Smooth sided fiberglass. Other than the factory stripes getting faded, dried & cracking, this rv looks new inside & out.

I have heard that some rv parks don't allow older coaches. What is that all about ? Is it old looks, safety, oil leaks, style, like flat fiberglass siding vs corrogated aluminum ???

How do they find out what year your coach is when making reservations or checking in ? Ask you, or want to see the registration ?

If I paint the graphics to look newer than a 2003 coach, will that appease those parks, and allow me in ?

I have a man removing the old stripes today, (using a 3m stripe remover wheel (like an eraser), & acetone).

He then will buff out the entire coach, and then he will PAINT the new graphics onto the coach as soon as I figure out what I want. A nice coat of wax will finish the job.

Also......I saw an ad in MH mag for something called poliglow, that said it would go on like wax, but last 12 months. Anyone have comments ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
1994 32H Bounder, 41k miles. Smooth sided fiberglass. Other than the factory stripes getting faded, dried & cracking, this rv looks new inside & out.

I have heard that some rv parks don't allow older coaches. What is that all about ? Is it old looks, safety, oil leaks, style, like flat fiberglass siding vs corrogated aluminum ???

How do they find out what year your coach is when making reservations or checking in ? Ask you, or want to see the registration ?
Anyone have comments ?
I don't believe this is a big problem.

Parks now use the term 'Pride of Ownership Condition' as opposed to year. So if you coach is maintained and clean don't believe you will have a problem.

Even big snooty parks have many rallies of Vintage Coach Clubs like old GMCs.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
...I have heard that some rv parks don't allow older coaches. What is that all about ? Is it old looks, safety, oil leaks, style, like flat fiberglass siding vs corrogated aluminum ???

I would say it's to keep a neat & attractive appearance to attract business. I ran into those restrictions, just once, with an upscale RV resort. They even have a minimum length requirement (25ft). They knew both my length & year because it was required when filling out the online reservation form. But their website does state "10 years or newer or in like new condition" so they will, obviously, let in RV's older than 10 years as long as they look presentable, as defined by them.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
pride of ownership

i like the pride of ownership condition. the age of the pull behind or motorhome shouldn't matter, if it's clean and presentable. i would think that i wouldn't care to stay at a park that has a coach age restriction.
we have an 06 meridian coach and it's very presentable and i wouldn't be ashamed to park it by a new provost, foretravel, or other bling bling. i guess i would have one of those if i had enough ink in my pen to sign for one. if a coach looks like the one in the movie "christmas vacation", then the entrance sould be blocked. rving is a great hobby and most of the intent is to explore our beautiful nation and no to keep up with the jones'.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most places use the 10 year run as a method of keeping out bad looking RVs. I have really only run into one place that did not want any RV over 10 years old. Mostly catered to the high end resort crowd.

Ken
Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

We have yet to run into a problem with our 27 year old Vanguard fiver. Yeah it looks out of place parked between a Forest River and a Prevost but if a cg host doesn't like it we would move on. It is comfortable and paid for. We did see one park that catered only to class A's but that's o.k.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
What campground owners like most us your money. I wouldn't restrict myself at all if I were you it is just not a problem.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by another
Most places use the 10 year run as a method of keeping out bad looking RVs.
that's a nice way of saying it...
They don't want the "riff raff" who either can't spend the dosh or won't spend the time needed to keep an older RV in good cosmetic trim.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi mr 300

I think it is a way for any private camp ground to "manage": so they write up some 'rules'. They could have rules on the age of mototorhome, how many dogs, type of unit, can a tent be put up, etc. One place had a rule of "no washing the RV"'. This rule made me laugh and think; 'guess they want dirty rigs'.

As the payer, I get to decide: accept their rules or move along!

regards, peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been in quite a few parks that have this rule. It seems that most of them only enforce it for their monthly guests. If you are there for a night or a week they don't seem to mind. I agree that the rule is a tool to keep the "trailer trash" from squatting in their park and costing them money to evict.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #11

I agree that the rule is a tool to keep the "trailer trash" from squatting in their park and costing them money to evict.

This is exactly the reason.
(Park Manager)

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Just to be clear - I sincerely trust that the derogatory term "trailer trash" as it is being used here doesn't apply only to those of us who have towables, but to junky motorhomes as well.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I interpret "Trailer Trash' as an old term generally applied to PEOPLE that live in mobile homes (and motorhomes, trailers etc) that are so lazy they don't spend any energy keeping the home clean or in good repair.

We have our trailer trash parks here, too.

Now....I saw an ad in MH mag for something called poliglow, that said it would go on like wax, but last 12 months. Anyone have comments on these types of products ?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hey, after first being married, we lived in a mobile home park I would have to say was on the edge of being home to many "trailer trash" units. I actually liked living there instead of an apartment. Got a great deal on a 17 year old unit that was considered the Cadillac of mobile homes (Vindale) of it's time. Had a nice lawn and garden area, shed, deck, covered patio.....When we sold 4 years later, we actually made $$$. Bought for $6500, sold for $11,500 in (1991). Lot rent if I remember was $125 - 140 a month including water and trash.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote