Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Older Diesel Class A Reviews

I have had two Class A gas motorhomes in the past and am wanting to move to an older diesel Class A. May I get some thoughts on the better ones to look for? 1998 is the oldest I want to go. I am interested in finding out which are more reliable and which manufacturer gives better support. I will probably make the move after Christmas. Desire 38 to 40 foot. Any and all help always appreciated.

Herb in Virginia Beach
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

Foretravel, Motorhomes of Texas has a good selection of older Foretravels. Plenty still on the road today. Factory is in Nacogdoches, Texas, with plenty of supporting companies in the area.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #3

If budget allows Foretravel would be a great choice. Or buy a coach from a high end builder, some of which would include Country Coach, Monoco, Newmar, Travel Supreme, and American coach to name a few.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
If budget allows Foretravel would be a great choice. Or buy a coach from a high end builder, some of which would include Country Coach, Monoco, Newmar, Travel Supreme, and American coach to name a few.
I agree ! My 92 American Eagle is Awesome !!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Love my Country Coach but wanted a Beaver coach. Very hard too find. Whatever you get have the chassis, engine, and house inspected for problems. Well worth the money...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You won't go wrong with an older Country Coach or Monaco. There were more Monaco's made and probably a little easier to find. If you can find a 2005 Monaco Diplomat in your price range, it was the first year they used the 400ISL, probably the best and most reliable RV engine ever built.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
I agree about pretty much every brand that's been suggested so far but Wanderlodge is definitely going to be at or near the top of my short list next time I'm looking, even if they're not in production anymore. Good luck with your search!
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #8

Very good info and I truly appreciate it. There is so much to consider I become overwhelmed and try not to let the appearance be my first influence. My friend just bought a 2000 Monaco Diplomat and his research with fellow RV'ers show they have had little problems with them so I was glad to see it mentioned. This forum is very truly helpful. Never have seen a Foretravel but they are now on my list. I think Wanderlodge is probably out of range for me.
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #9

I also agree that the brands listed COULD be a great coach. The name means nothing if not taken care of. Whatever one you decide on, a word to the wise, if maint. records are not available...walk!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Remember This !
The older 6cta8.3 Cummins : All Mechanical are Easy to maintain and Easy to diagnose issues. No Electronic failures ect ect ect .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

My personal choice would be a used Newell if I could afford it.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
Very good info and I truly appreciate it. There is so much to consider I become overwhelmed and try not to let the appearance be my first influence. My friend just bought a 2000 Monaco Diplomat and his research with fellow RV'ers show they have had little problems with them so I was glad to see it mentioned. This forum is very truly helpful. Never have seen a Foretravel but they are now on my list. I think Wanderlodge is probably out of range for me.

If you like the Diplomat, you might want to add the Holiday Rambler Endeavor series to your list. Pretty much the same coach, and there's a bunch of them still on the road, which says something about them.

'96-'98(99?) had few updates, are all about the same.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Last September, we bought a '04 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016 400ISL in great original condition with all manuals, all maintenance records since new from both meticulous previous owners, all maintenance current and I only put new tires on it.

I lucked into exactly what I was looking for after a year long search. Know what you want and wait until you find it. We could not be happier.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

Well, you certainly can't be hurt sticking to the brands mentioned. The quality stuff holds up well. When they are built like a house they tend to last like one. We bought a 2002 Travel Supreme a few years ago and it has been solid and reliable. It's quiet and smooth going down the road, it's solid and has been dead reliable. Many of the lesser brand (and newer) coaches we looked at had more "bling", but were made with cheaper materials and seemed to not hold up over the long haul, based on the large selection we saw. Our coach is simple (style wise) but like all the higher end DPs it's very stout. We looked at a lot of coaches, and I can't imagine having bought anything else. BTW, Spartan have great customer service. And if you look at a TS, Entegra still offer assistance to TS owners.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel