Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Just joined the forum but have been reading it for a year. It was very helpful in helping me purchase a new 2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3512. I have had several problems since my purchase in May but most have been taken care of with a little dealer help. Newmar was less cooperative. My onan 5.5 Marquis Gold has not run properly since we checked it on the PDI. The generator runs for 15 min and shuts down. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump. It ran for 6 hours so we felt it was ok. A week later we started it up, ran for 15 min and shut down. An Onan mechanic came over {$200.00}for travel time, spent 2 hours on it and was unable to fix it. He felt it may have been a governor arm which had play in it so he ordered a new one. He came back{$200.00} again, spent 3 hours and told me I had to take it to the shop so they could tear the engine apart and find the problem. Numerous calls to Newmar and Onan were futile. I wanted a new generator and they stated they had to determine the problem first. Newmar has been no help at all other than to tell me it is Onans problem. I have cancelled numerous dog shows and have put out over $600.00 for travel time and gas that is not covered by warranty. Will be taking to Onan this week for another repair. Looking for any suggestions on what the problem could be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #2

Just joined the forum but have been reading it for a year. It was very helpful in helping me purchase a new 2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3512. I have had several problems since my purchase in May but most have been taken care of with a little dealer help. Newmar was less cooperative. My onan 5.5 Marquis Gold has not run properly since we checked it on the PDI. The generator runs for 15 min and shuts down. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump. It ran for 6 hours so we felt it was ok. A week later we started it up, ran for 15 min and shut down. An Onan mechanic came over {$200.00}for travel time, spent 2 hours on it and was unable to fix it. He felt it may have been a governor arm which had play in it so he ordered a new one. He came back{$200.00} again, spent 3 hours and told me I had to take it to the shop so they could tear the engine apart and find the problem. Numerous calls to Newmar and Onan were futile. I wanted a new generator and they stated they had to determine the problem first. Newmar has been no help at all other than to tell me it is Onans problem. I have cancelled numerous dog shows and have put out over $600.00 for travel time and gas that is not covered by warranty. Will be taking to Onan this week for another repair. Looking for any suggestions on what the problem could be.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm no Onan expert, although I've worked on mine and replace a couple of voltage regulators. I'm lucky enough to have an Onan expert in my area and he gave me advice for trouble shooting mine, as well as sold me the parts.

You've probably already checked this, but a couple of things come to mind. Please make sure your oil level is correct. If it is too high, it will foam due to being "beaten" and the unit will loose oil pressure and shut down. My expert said that he has encountered an occasional problem with multi weight oil and the problem disappeared when he changed it back to straight 30 weight.

The other thing than comes to mind is if it overheats. This is not likely to happen assuming the covers are intact. I had a friend that had one with a faulty heat switch (or so he told me) that caused a similar result. Good luck in finding the problem. Sometimes this is the hardest part.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Is this not covered by Onan's warranty?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #5

The warranty does cover the actual repair, but having it repaired for the 4th time doesn't make me too confident that it will work when I need it. That is why I was pushing to get a new generator, but of course Newmar and Onan didn't think that was a good idea. I will be taking to an Onan dealer on Friday, hopefully they will figure it out this time
Old 08-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #6

I'm curious as to what Newmar and Onan would say if you told them you were going to share their pathetic responses and service with all you camping friends through the internet bill
Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem with my Onan 5.5. The fuel pump was replaced twice, once by a dealer and once by a Cummins shop.

The actual problem was found by a Winnebago factory tech and turned out to be a loose clamp where the rubber fuel line connected to the metal tube at the fuel tank.
It would intermittently suck air and cause fuel starvation.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I will give that information to the Onan repair shop. I took my motorhome to the Onan shop on Friday and during the 7 hours that I sat their they replaced plugs, put a new computer board in made adjustments and guess what, it still only runs for 15 min. So they took the generator out so I could leave. They called Onan and are awaiting a call back on Monday. So now they have approx 10-12 hours labor into the unit new pump,filters,plugs, and a computer board. I asked about a new generator before the summer is over and they stated that they must follow certain guidelines before they will consider a new unit. Frankly they don't care about the customer or how much they put you out. Monday I will be back on the phone calling Newmar and Onan. Will continue this story later.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #9

Looks like Onan has found the problem. It appears that there was a bad governor gear and weights. They replaced them and the generator runs well. I will be taking the motorhome to the repair shop to have it installed. My dealer in Conn. made the right phone calls and got an official at Newmar to get this matter taken care of. My dealer called me everyday and called Newmar to check on the progress. Newmar apoligized for the delay, but finally got it taken care of. They also are working on getting all of my money back that I spent on trips to the shop and service calls. Thanks to my dealer,Newmar and Onan.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing this with us. This is the first one I've ever heard of with a bad governor gear and weights. I'll have to add that to my "possibility" list should I ever run across it again. I know you must be elated to finally get this sorted out.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
when i got my moho, my onan 5.5 gold had a broken idler pulley in the belt drive system that drives the generator. at least, that is what the repair shop said. it made an awful racket when starting the genny. it sounded to me like the starter drive was stuck in the flywheel. the genny had 450 hrs on it.
it cost the previous owner $500 to fix before i took delivery.
i have put about 40 hrs on it since and it works ok now.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shamong Shepherds:
Looks like Onan has found the problem. It appears that there was a bad governor gear and weights. They replaced them and the generator runs well. I will be taking the motorhome to the repair shop to have it installed. My dealer in Conn. made the right phone calls and got an official at Newmar to get this matter taken care of. My dealer called me everyday and called Newmar to check on the progress. Newmar apoligized for the delay, but finally got it taken care of. They also are working on getting all of my money back that I spent on trips to the shop and service calls. Thanks to my dealer,Newmar and Onan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #13

Well the story doesn't end here. Although the generator is running well, there is a problem. While I was at the Onan repair shop the shop manager came to me with a photo of the rear of my generator. He told me that there is a hole in the rear of my generator cover. He further told me that it was caused by the end of a shackle bolt. He did not cut the end of the bolt off because of liability and said that it is a Newmar problem. So they put the generator back in and bolted it down in three places and left one bolt out because the shackle bolt was holding the cover up and if they bolted it in it would lift the cover and create a problem. Now I am not a Onan mechanic but maybe that was the whole problem at the beginning with the overheating. Nothing is ever simple. Newmar did call me and stated they will send a new cover to my rv dealer so he can put it on and take care of the bolt problem. I never thought I would have so much fun owning a new rv. My used 2002 Winnebago was flawless. To make me feel better a friend who owns a Prevost told me that no matter what you spend you will still have problems, it is a house on wheels. Oh well, my wife and I and the two German Shepherds are headed for Lancaster,Pa for the weekend, this is what is is all about!