Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Onan 5500 surging (my fix)

After having problems with surging on my Onan I refered to this great site to read all I could about this problem. My 02 Southwind was bought used and didn't see much use so I suspected a carb issue. After all my readings I was disappointed that the carb is said to be "unserviceable" by most threads. I did find a few that said otherwise so I took the carb out. Disassembled it, even the float bowl came off, cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. I installed it and the gen. fired right up and hasn't surged since. I just wanted to share my success with anyone who might be having the same issues with the 5500 Marquis Gold. I assume mine wasn't too bad and others may not have my luck. Hope this helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used five cans of sea foam or Techron about once a year in my 75 gallon gas tank just before a long trip where I will burn through all the fuel. I run the generator for at least an hour on those trips to clean the carb of my Onan 5500.

Haven't noticed any surging so it must be working.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seafoam is my next purchase. Is this product better than using Stabil? I want to use an additive but want the best one out there so I don't have any more issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if it's better or worse. All I know is the guy I took my lawn mower to after it wouldn't start said that's what they used to clean the carb.

They suggested I use it to keep the carb clean and that's all they ever use. Of course my lawn mower isn't a 8.1 V8 but gas crud is gas crud.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscribn1 View Post
After having problems with surging on my Onan I refered to this great site to read all I could about this problem. My 02 Southwind was bought used and didn't see much use so I suspected a carb issue. After all my readings I was disappointed that the carb is said to be "unserviceable" by most threads. I did find a few that said otherwise so I took the carb out. Disassembled it, even the float bowl came off, cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. I installed it and the gen. fired right up and hasn't surged since. I just wanted to share my success with anyone who might be having the same issues with the 5500 Marquis Gold. I assume mine wasn't too bad and others may not have my luck. Hope this helps.
when i shut my onan 5500 genny down and do not intend to restart it for a few days, i drain the carb float bowl.
the float bowl fills and primes easily using the priming pump on the genny.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used Star Tron for a long time....never any starting problems or mechanical issues...just my opinion.

Tags
onan