Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Onan 5500 Wont start

Started and ran momentarily then quit, I hear the fuel pump when the prime button is held down and it sounds too loud. The start light is blinking some code. 4 blinks then 5 blinks? anone have an idea of what is going on here?

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgagehomes View Post
Started and ran momentarily then quit, I hear the fuel pump when the prime button is held down and it sounds too loud. The start light is blinking some code. 4 blinks then 5 blinks? anone have an idea of what is going on here?
Please check your oil level just to humor me.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

Will do, I will let you know what I find.

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fault code 45 is a speed sensor code. It may not be sensing any output. Check slip rings for corrosion.

Okay, I'll ask. Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

Mine doesn't show any codes but does the same thing for about 5-6 times before it stays running. Full tank of gas, oil good, just serviced in December. Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The "fuel pump sounds too loud" is the dead giveaway, the diaphragm is weak, might be time for a new one.

For what it's worth, I keep a $18 electric fuel pump (from Checker Auto) with several connectors/adapters etc. handy just for testing, it's great for troubleshooting or for temporary use to save the weekend...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

Check for small leaks in the hoses. these pumps are low pressure (~3.5 PSI) and older hoses develop small cracks that allow air to enter the line. Mine would work fine with a full tank, but become hard to start when down to half a tank than then cut out completely well before reaching 1/4 tank. Replaced a short section of hose and everything was cool again - never did identify an actual leak.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #8

OK, so far fuel is just under half a tank, and Oil level is in range. I dont know anything about the slip ring mentioned. How is that checked? I am going to check out the fuel pump this weekend the louder pump sounds like a possibility.

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #9

OK I hate to admit it but it is operator fatigue. Motorhome was parked with front slightly up hill. Even though the fuel guage read just under half a tank the pick up for the gen set is in the front of the tank. The quarter tank rule only works out correctly when the motorhome is level. :-(

04 Winnebago 33v
Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #10

had the same problem replaced small section of hose and the world is right again.02 Bounder.
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote