RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Onan 7.5 Quiet Diesel Generator issues

I'm really frustrated with this generator. I have a 1999 Winnebago with an Onan 7.5 quiet diesel generator, I've never had the fuel tank under a 1/2 and its full at the moment.
I just bought the MH in August and took it out boodocking 2 times with no issues at all. Then the 3rd time out it mysteriously just shut off in the middle of the night, the A/C's were on and a couple of fans and cell phones charging (Not even sure the A/C were actually running when the shutdown happened, I was sleeping so I can't honestly judge the load). Didn't try to restart it because we come home the next morning.
Since then I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, oil & oil filter look new and full so I didn't do that. Coolant overflow is full also. Got it fired up and it seemed good to go.
Took it out again and ran the A/C while driving and it shut off after an hour, wouldn't restart right then so I left it off, we had electric the last two times out so I haven't messed with it but I really do need it this coming weekend.
Last night we pulled the spark arrestor out, last thing on the basic maintenance list but it won't fire up to even finish this job up. I can hear the fuel pump clicking when priming it/warming the plugs or whatever the stop switch does, when I hold the start button it sounds like its going to start, vroom chug, chug, then nothing, it's not fully firing.
I've seen so many codes I'm not sure I trust them at this point to keep chasing them. I hate to go to the garage and spend the money unless its a last resort, everybody at my house are all very capable mechanics but this is our first generator.. so the whole thing is new to us. Does anybody have any other ideas on what I can/should look at?

lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Look over every fuel line connection.

A tiny leak, before the fuel pump, will not show a fuel leak, but will suck air into the system causing it to starve for fuel.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a similar issue with my Onan, ended up being a secondary inline fuel filter that had been installed by factory/previous owner. Filer had become clogged and acted like your's. Replaced inline secondary filter and now runs great.

Filter is located on fuel line back from generator, so try tracing fuel line to check for another filter.

Good luck
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorim View Post
I'm really frustrated with this generator. I have a 1999 Winnebago with an Onan 7.5 quiet diesel generator, I've never had the fuel tank under a 1/2 and its full at the moment.
I just bought the MH in August and took it out boodocking 2 times with no issues at all. Then the 3rd time out it mysteriously just shut off in the middle of the night, the A/C's were on and a couple of fans and cell phones charging (Not even sure the A/C were actually running when the shutdown happened, I was sleeping so I can't honestly judge the load). Didn't try to restart it because we come home the next morning.
Since then I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, oil & oil filter look new and full so I didn't do that. Coolant overflow is full also. Got it fired up and it seemed good to go.
Took it out again and ran the A/C while driving and it shut off after an hour, wouldn't restart right then so I left it off, we had electric the last two times out so I haven't messed with it but I really do need it this coming weekend.
Last night we pulled the spark arrestor out, last thing on the basic maintenance list but it won't fire up to even finish this job up. I can hear the fuel pump clicking when priming it/warming the plugs or whatever the stop switch does, when I hold the start button it sounds like its going to start, vroom chug, chug, then nothing, it's not fully firing.
I've seen so many codes I'm not sure I trust them at this point to keep chasing them. I hate to go to the garage and spend the money unless its a last resort, everybody at my house are all very capable mechanics but this is our first generator.. so the whole thing is new to us. Does anybody have any other ideas on what I can/should look at?
I am currently going thorough the exact same thing with a 1998 Beaver and a 7.5 quiet diesel. Mine initially stopped and I thought it might be low on fuel. I added fuel and ran it for about 4 hours working inside the RV before I cut it off. Then it would not re-crank and acts like you describe. I have since replaced the air and fuel filters as well as the fuel pump. I can sometimes get it to run ruff for maybe 10 seconds, but it usually tries to start and then just stops.

My next course of action is to put Diesel Fuel in a separate container and hook it directly to the new fuel pump to eliminate leaks as a possible problem. Failing that I will be looking at the control board inside. I have read that if it reads a fault it will shut down the generator.

I will be watching this, hopefully someone can help both of us.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First thing to do is get the fault code.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try 12v direct to fuel pump. Eliminates a lot of over engineered interfaces.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
Commercial Member

check the line from the fuel tank. that old of a coach may have dry rotted lines.

check fuel pump pressure. you can rent a gauge from autozone.
check the glow plugs. itv only takes one or two to stop it from starting. they asre available from napa.
i did the same on mine. i found the line was cracked, as well as two of the three glow plugs were defective.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
First thing I would do is check the Faults codes again -- the last Fault is stored, and tell us what that is.
How many hours on this Generator ?
If it try's to start, it sure sounds like a fuel delivery issue as mentioned above or the Controller is shutting the Fuel Pump off as it does for different codes. If you wire the Fuel Pump direct your bypassing the source of the problem.
Can you hear the Fuel Pump clicking prior to starting ?
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

When I had a similar problem on our slide-mounted 7500QD, I found a pinched fuel line behind the generator.

Tags
diesel, generator, onan, quiet