Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Onan auto start gen not working???

So I am on a trip and noticed I cant put my genset into auto start mode. Genset works fine. TO go into auto start mode you are to push the auto start button then the enter button. When I push auto star I get displayed "ignition on & off" which the owners manual says means there is a problem with that safety input.

Now this feature worked fine a little bit ago, the only thing that has chagned is I got new house batteries. I have been looking at the house batteries thinking I may have placed the house battery sensor wire in the worng spot. Problem is I dont know which wire is the right one. I have two telephone style wires connecting to negative termianls on my house batteries. Now all wires were marked according to their respective terminals before the battery swap.

I am hoping someone may have had this issue (whether it relates to the house batteries or not) and may have a simple answer.

Also this exact problem was the topic of a post back in 2015, but the user never came back to share the outcome. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/energ...rt-267623.html

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

I wonder what a 'safety input' is? Why would the ignition have anything to do with the AGS control regardless? weird.

but, try putting your key in and turn the ignition just to 'on' to see if it makes a difference, then turn it off, if so, and see if it stays on AGS. weird.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Thanks MisterT. Found out the safety input thing is a feature to stop a false gen start. It could be as easy as shutting off my house batteries and when I turn them on do a certain procedure on the control for the auto gen start. I am traveling now so I will not be able to do this for a couple days as I dont have stops scheduled with any hookups.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Gary, here is the pertinent guidance from the EC-30 manual..

Safety Signal Verification
The EC-30 maintains a record of the last change of the Safety Input signal. If the EC-30 does not see the Safety Input change in 30 days, it will prompt the user to re-verify the Safety Input by activating the safety signal. (i.e. switching the ignition, changing transmission position, or operating the parking or trailer brake.)
If the Safety Input signal has not been turned on or off for 25 days the display will flash the “SAFETY OFF & ON” screen. Turn the Safety Input signal off and on, or on and off, to reset the 30 day timer. If the Safety Input is not verified by day 30 AUTO GEN is disable. The next time AUTO GEN key is pressed, the user is prompted to verify Safety Input signal.
Verify the Safety Input
The safety input must be verified before automatic operation is allowed. The first time the AUTO GEN key is pressed (after power is applied) the EC-30 requests:
Where SAFETY = IGNITION, PARK, or BRAKE. Turn on or off the appropriate signal:
• Ignition: Input is connected to the vehicle ignition system (motor homes or van conversions).
• Brake: Brake light for all trailer, 5th wheel, and pickup camper installations, or air brake on diesel motor homes.
• Park: The park signal/neutral (transmission) from motorized motor homes or van conversions.
If the safety input is functional, the display will say:

Cummins/ONAN graphics box ENTER for AUTO

Only press the ENTER key if the genset is in a safe location for automatic operation.

That is the what, as to the why I can only speculate. Cummins wants to mitigate any potential legal liability arising from an undesired AGS trigger, by designing a safety interaction on a routine basis.

Our last coach didn't have this, but was also managing the Generator and AGS via the Magnum remote.

There are good and bad with either setup.

The Magnum arrangement makes for a less complicated number of devices to manage. The Magnum eliminates this nonsensical safety verification. The Magnum also mandates that if you have a Generator or AGS issue, the tech is qualified to work on a Cummins generator and the Magnum remote. Compare the number of techs that meet this criteria against the number of techs qualified to work on Cummins equipment.

The EC-30 gives a seamless approach to managing the generator and AGS. That we must deal with some poorly conceived design issues is the price we pay. Aside from the safety verification, who decided it was wise to enable the generator to use AGS, and if it starts from AGS and is running, that starting the main engine will kill the generator?

I guess it would be easy to simply disconnect the EC-30 and shift over to the Magnum for AGS, but I'll see how I like the EC-30 before I work around it.

-Matt
I have done the ignition cycling while the display shows ignition on & off. I get no change. But I see you mention the "first time auto gen is press after power is applied. I wonder if when I changed house batteries that this triggered the safety?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This is not the most recent thread from just a few weeks ago but the solution appears to be in here as well;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ec30...de-309859.html
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan