Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
2000 Pace with a 5500 Onan. I used to think Onan was the name brand in power generation. I have owned two onans on motorhomes and had same problems reported here. I have a cheap lawn mower that does not run all winter and starts right up in the spring and does not surge at governed speed. What is up with this onan must be run once a month at full load? All the onans I have had have had surging problems at some time. All contributed to carb junk/gum and I do run it regularly.

Next generator for me will NOT be an Onan. I think they are junk.
rhkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #16

I have to agree with you 100% I have had several Onans over the years in motor homes and camping equipment. I have had problems with everyone of them even though I did everything they require. I have also had 2 Generac's and they ran perfectly I neglected to run one of them in a Tropical and it set for 6 months before it was started. I sprayed some carb cleaner in it and it started right up and ran with no problems. I was told at the Onan Service Depot yesterday that the onan should be started at least every 2 weeks.
Mel
Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an Onan 7000 and it surges pretty bad when not loaded. The dealer told me they all surge when not under load. The motorhome I bought was 3 years old and only had 13 hours on the genset. In the last two months since I got it, it's up to 32 hours and running better than ever. Most of the surging is gone.

My previous motorhome had a Generac and it never missed a lick and did not surge at all loaded or not. Wasn't as quiet as the Onan, but sure was smoother.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote