Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Onan Diesel generator problem

On the way to the CG we are in the generator quit It is a Onan 7500 HDJAK. First nothing happened when we pushed the start button. Then for some reason it would start, quit and give a 14 fault code. I got a copy of the service manual and did the steps I thought I could handle, unplug the remote start harness and try on the gen front, clean up the battery leads, check fuses. All the stuff us mere mortals can handle. Now once again we get nothing when trying to start.

I would love to drive it to the nearest Cummins/Onan service in Ft. Myers, FL but with no house air on the way, us +2 big dogs and only a Geo Tracker with no a/c and they can't plug us in or have us inside while working on it, we are kind of stuck. Mid to high 80s here. They can send a tech out to the tune of $346 to trouble shoot it but not necessarily repair it. Looks like that my be the only option unless I can find someone less expensive tomorrow.

Any ideas on anything else to try before having Cummins come out here is appreciated. If we have to pay then so be it.

BTW We also have 2 new Michelin XZE 22.5 coming in the a.m. Going to be an expensive week.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

What does the 14 code indicate? Try holding down the boost switch for a minute or two then while holding it down, push the bottom of the gen start button for 15 sec or so then hold the top of the start button. Hold it for 15 sec or so if it doesn't start right away. Do all this while holding the boost down.

Are you in Fort Myers now?

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

The troubleshooting guide says that code 14 is an inverter overfrequency fault.
Reduce the number of connected appliances, especially when air conditioners and battery chargers are running.
Have you checked to make sure nothing is turned on to draw a lot of current?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
KJD

Have you checked to see if you have enough fuel in your tank ? Usually they will cut off when the fuel tank is around 1/4 tank.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mark, I'm sure you have already thought of this but do you have enough diesel in your fuel tank? The older I get the less I remember.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the quick replies. I have the trouble shooting guide and the service manual so I was able to look up the inverter overfrequency fault and we turned off stuff like the a/c and tried it again while it was still trying to start but that was no help. There were also some other steps in the service manual that were no help either.

The boost switch is a good idea. Unfortunately it did not work. I always forget the thing is there and not even sure it works since we have never needed it.

We are at Pine Island KOA right now. Thinking we might call Lazy Days in the a.m. and see what they think since I'm pretty sure they can have us plugged in if we can survive the trip there with no house air.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Mark, I'm sure you have already thought of this but do you have enough diesel in your fuel tank? The older I get the less I remember.

Sammie
I did Sammie but any help is appreciated. Good Sam RSA spent some time with me trying to figure it out and that is one of the first questions. I get flustered when things like this happen and overlook simple things so any advice no matter how simple can't hurt.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There isn't much you can do if it is truly an over-frequency fault (code 14). That's almost surely an internal failure in the inverter inside the generator.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
If you are going to consider Lazydays then you might want to consider Cummins Power South/Coach Care just a few miles down the road towards Tampa. I believe they do have hook-ups and are usually easier to get into then LD's and are also of course are Onan certified.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #10

You might consider calling a Mobile RV tech in your area. Here's some guides for troubleshooting: Troubleshooting/Cross-Reference Guides | Flight Systems

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks all for the help. I did find a mobile RV tech that is right down the road to look at it for a good price. He determined as Gary RVRoamer said that the inverter/controller is bad since there is no 12V coming from it to the start switch. That is what I figured but wanted an opinion from someone who knows more about it before wasting money on a part. He was nice enough to walk me through replacing it myself and got the part number and a quote from Cummins here in Ft. Myers. $1700 but we need the generator so off we go today to get the part.

I will update this with the results later.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #12

I am unfamiliar with your model, but on the older models there is a low oil cutoff switch. have you checkedthe oil level or the switch?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer33 View Post
I am unfamiliar with your model, but on the older models there is a low oil cutoff switch. have you checkedthe oil level or the switch?
Yes it is full but thanks for any suggestions
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
If you are going to consider Lazydays then you might want to consider Cummins Power South/Coach Care just a few miles down the road towards Tampa. I believe they do have hook-ups and are usually easier to get into then LD's and are also of course are Onan certified.
X2!

There are some motels nearby, as I recall. They were helpful and prompt. They put my wife and I and our two cats in their waiting room for the day.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator, onan