Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Onan Diesel Generator problems

this weekend I have two issues with my Diesel Onan Generator. the first (which i think is a fuel filter problem) The generator would run great for hours, then shut down. when trying to restart, it would have a rough sound, almost like knocking. Oil level is good. after several attempts, the generator would crank normally and run for several hours fine then stop again. the second issue, sometimes the generator would stop. I would have to use the battery boost switch to restart and the generator would crank right back up and run for maybe 10 mins and shut off. I noticed if i was close enough to the battery boost switch when the generator would start to shut down, I could press the battery boost and the generator would not shut down... any suggestions?

While looking around, I've learned the generator needs a constant 12v to run, I was thinking there might be a problem with the batteries, am i on the right track?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When the generator shuts down, it flashes a code, usually 1, 2 or 3. There will be a secondary code in some cases - push the stop button to see the secondary code too. That will tell you why it stopped. The codes are in the owner manual and you can get a manual on the Onan site if you don't have one.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #3

It blinks three times... I'll look at the manual this afternoon. I did check the batteries and they all look good. I guess i can take them and have them checked at an autozone or autoparts store.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3 blinks just means there are other codes, I believe you need to push the stop switch once to get to the second level fault code, which will be a 2 digit code done in sets of blinks.
When was the last maintenance done, it may be due, ie Oil change, air,fuel, and oil filter. Also check the battery connections at the batteries and the generator. Make sure the ground is connected and clean also. One other note if the wrong vecosity oil was used then it too could be the problem and causeing the shutdown(too thick or too thin).
Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Thank you SuperGewl, I'll check the things you suggested. I'm thinking now that all the problems are from a low battery which is causing the anti-dieseling solenoid to close and shut off the fuel. I'm not 100% sure (gonna read through the manuals) I'm thinking when the generator is running it only charges the coach batteries. and if running the generator the inverter has to be on to charge the cranking batteries... If this is true, Then when the cranking batteries get low, that would kill the power to the anti-dieseling solenoid and cause the generator to quit.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The generator provides its own 12v power to keep running.

When the generator is running, your RV's own charger is doing the house batteries, so should be no problem there either.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #7

OK, found the solution. The way my coach is set up, The Generator charges only the house batteries. The inverter must be on to charge the cranking batteries. The Anti Dieseling Solenoid is powered by the cranking batteries. So when I run on Generator power, I must make sure the inverter is on. The other issue was a fuel filter. I'll test my findings this weekend... ROLL TIDE!! :-)

Tags
diesel, generator, onan