Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onan EC-30 auto start issues...won't start for HVAC CALL

I have two duo therm AC units and LP furnace using a Duotherm comfort center thermostat in my 2008 NRV Pacifica 40e that work perfectly on Shore and Gen power in Manual mode. I have an OEM installed Onan QD8000 with an EC-30 command center.

When I set the EC30 to Auto mode the generator should start to support HVAC (temp is 75 degrees, thermostat set to 60 degrees to test). but generator doesn't start.

Troubleshooting thus far...

I ran the diagnostics test on the EC-30. Safety test passes, start test passes but HVAC test fails.
I verified that their is a wire properly plugged into the wiring harness designated HVAC1.
I do not know how to check that wire to see if it is sending a message from the Duotherm comfort center to the EC-30

Onan tech service at Onan distributor and local RV shop says that replacing the EC-30 is likely the quickest fix? (Approx $300).

While my coach is an '08 model, it only has about 21k miles on it.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have an EC-30 console go bad?

Any other suggestions?

FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

"Wire #4 Request HVAC Active Low: This input wire supplies a signal to the controller when the HVAC system requires the genset to run. Typically it is supplied from a thermostat or the HVAC system controller. Unlike the other 3 HVAC request inputs, see wires #10 - #12, this input is an active low or ground input. This means it requires a transition from +12V to ground to activate the auto-gen start function. In contrast to the other 3 HVAC inputs which require a transition from ground to +12V."

A good start would be determine if your getting a change in state on the hvac signal wire, that would isolate your problem to a hvac problem or a ec30 problem. I copied and pasted that out of the installation manual I googled.

Do you know which hvac signal wire is hooked up?
900−0541 is the manual number

Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onan EC-30 auto start issues...won't start for HVAC CALL

I have a copy of the manual. The #10 HVAC 1-grey wire is connected to the EC30 plug.

How do I test for a signal from the HVAC. I have a circuit tester but I'm a novice with it.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #4

"Wire #10 Run Request HVAC #1: This input wire must supply +12V to the controller when the HVAC system requires the genset to run. Typically it is supplied from a thermostat or the HVAC system controller."

In that case your looking for the above.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

Not sure what you mean by a circuit tester, but a volt meter is what you need.
Wire #1 is ground.
With the ac thermostat off you should have zero volts between wire 1 and wire 10.
With the thermostat turned on and the set temperature set lower than ambient temperature you should get 12 volts between wire 1 and wire 10.
Put the volt meter on DC volts and put the black test lead on terminal 1 and the red lead on terminal 10.
Some meters don't say AC or DC volts, in that case they have "~ " for AC volts, and a "-" symbol for DC volts
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the help. It turns out that the MFG did not hook up this feature in my coach. After I didn't get a positive test result with my multimeter I investigated the wiring further to find wires 10, 11, & 12 to be terminated.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Is there anything hooked up to wire #4, that is the other spot for an AC unit to generate autostart?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It did appear that #4 was connected but I'll have to check to be sure that it isn't terminated like the rest. I really do appreciate your help!!!!!!!

P.S. I find it amazing even in a coach that originally sold for $280k in 2008 that the designers didn't provide any forethought to the people who have to maintain these coaches and provide large access panel to get at this wiring. My coach has all of the control panels in one place and yet you have to remove each of the control panels separately to get at the wiring through 6"/4" x 4" holes. I can't even remove the thermostat because of how it was installed.

FMCA-GOOD SAM

Tags
onan