Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Onan Emerald I, no crank from either switch

Hey Guys,

I've been reading through the site in attempt to find the AH HAaaaaa moment, but have yet to stumble on it.

Picked up a project '87 Allegro. Onan Emerald I genset. With a new battery, I get nothing when pushing the start button either on the genset, or inside the coach on the dash.

I put a meter across the switch and it's working fine. If I jump the solenoid, I can get the set to crank, but I get no spark. What puts the power to the coil to create spark? Hm, do I need to hold the button on START while I jump the solenoid to see if I get spark then?

Thanks for any insight..
Helomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a similar problem with mine on my 86 Winnebago. Ended up being the circuit board on the generator.

Purchased a new one from these people. Worked out well. They are very helpful also.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Onan_boards.htm

Good Luck !

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Similar problem for me turned out to be ground from Gen to frame. It looked nice and clean but I took it off and cleaned up surface and it cranked fine after that. Good luck.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #4

I had to do this during a trip. As we were leaving the generator did nothing when I hit the start switch. What I did was short the selenoid AND then push the start button. Worked great for the 10 days we were gone. Had the selenoid switch replaced when we got home.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #5

Is the "remote control" at the dashboard another circuit board? Or just a remote switch to the genset mounted board?

I'll try the solenoid shorting and pressing the start button since it's easy to do. If nothing changes, I'll continue working through cleaning up all of the grounds I can find.

I still have to swap out the regulator from the LP tank. With the regulator removed, I get gas when I open the valve. With the regulator connected, I get nothing flowing to the stove, etc. Figure I will disconnect the output side of the regulator and see if anything flows through it. I already bought another regulator, so this is more of a troubleguessing before I open the packaging.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Is the "remote control" at the dashboard another circuit board? Or just a remote switch to the genset mounted board?
On mine both switches (dash & generator) went they the genny circuit board. I checked everything mentioned above by others prior to changing the board out. It was just due I guess. I found out to try this just as your doing, by posting your problem and getting help from others.

Keep us posted please.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

well changing out the regulator on the LP tank didn't get any fuel to the furnace or stove. Guess I'll have to take it in to get it pressure tested and make sure things are going where they're supposed to go.

As for the genset, I jumped the solenoid and held the START button at the same time. Still nothing happening there. Looks like I'll try swapping out the control board and see where that gets me.

More updates as they come.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

UPDATE:

Today I did more genset troubleshooting. found that by using the pins of the connector that goes to the board, I can power up the fuel pump and the coil, then touching the pin between, it hits the starter.

So, albeit not correctly, it starts and runs. It's doing a little surging (smelled like old gas for the first bit of running). Found that the muffler is blown out the back side and the gen set isn't charging.

I'm not sure what to test from this point. Does the board need to be working in order for the unit to charge? Where would I hook the VOM the genset to see if it's putting out AC voltage?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Helimech

The wiring diagrams for your unit are readily available for your unit on "Google".
I believe your issue is the board from your descriptions. However you can call the company I gave you in the previous post and the can guide you thru your trouble shooting. Here is one of the diagrams that I pulled up for you using your gensets name in "Google". Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	83034  

Old 01-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	83035  

Old 01-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the links Tom I have added them to the GEN MAINTENANCE THREAD in RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES FORUM.
If you have anymore to add, add them to this thread, thanks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #13

Sooooooooooooooooooo

then.... Google?

007, that's been the most helpful link!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

Probably a stupid question but did you check your fuses and circuit breakers?
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan