Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #15

Yes on the gen or yes on the dash?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #16

I tried pressing & holding the Stop/Start rocker switch on our 2000 Onan 5.5kw unit in the OFF position however on ours the pump doesn't run.

Recently, I installed a toggle switch on the generator frame to power the pump which I run 30 seconds or so before starting the engine. Priming the carburetor has greatly reduced engine cranking time.

Curious though why the Start/Stop switch on ours doesn't work on the OFF priming mode.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #17

Maybe the wiring harness didn't provide for that. I would see if the switch has that contact terminal and run a wire under the dash, out thru the doghouse and back to the genny.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2001 with a 4K Onan, the manual states, press off button and hold for 30 sec then press the start for 3 sec, if it fails to start repeat sequence. Once mine starts it stays running. However, my Gen switch in galley doesn't seem to work, maybe some day I'll figure it out. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have an 8 KW Onan Quiet Diesel. According to the manual, the only time it needs to be primed is after the fuel filter has been changed or after it has run out of fuel. Priming is done by holding the "stop" switch down for one minute. For normal starting, hold the "start" switch down until it starts.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 4.0 BFA does not prime by holding down the switch, but I installed a momentary-on toggle switch to provide a hot jump to the fuel pump (with an in-line fuse) and am able to prime it that way.
On many of these generators, the "starter" is the generator windings themselves, there is no starter "motor".
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #21

As soon as it quits raining, I'll check it out... I can listen to the fuel pump to see if it runs when the switch is depressed to Off.... Thanks again everybody,,,, guess I wasn't the only one wondering this.... I let it sit about a month and had to crank on it 4-5 times (just a few seconds each) to get it started.... Darel
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #22

Mine only sat for a week, but I had to prime it 4-5 times to get it going at the dunes.

Dunner at the dunes, duning.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. That is how mine is supposed to work.

However to answer the question "What do I do if that does not work"

easy, instead of pressing OFF, press ON, or rather "tap" it, Let the engine turn over like one time.. Wait for like 30 seconds and press ON again to start.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I have an 8 KW Onan Quiet Diesel. According to the manual, the only time it needs to be primed is after the fuel filter has been changed or after it has run out of fuel. Priming is done by holding the "stop" switch down for one minute. For normal starting, hold the "start" switch down until it starts.
Diesel and gas engines are totally different animals. The gas engine of this era uses a carburetor. When the unit sits unused the gas in the bowl will evaporate. Pushing the start button to the prime position fills the bowl again. Then when you push the button to the start position the pistons moving downward create enough vacuum to draw the gas through the jets and into the cylinder.

The diesel engine uses a totally sealed high pressure system consisting of a pump, steel lines, and injectors to deliver the fuel to the cylinders. There is no chance of the fuel evaporating before it can be introduced to the combustion chamber unless you have a leak. Since the system is sealed priming is unnecessary.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The diesel engine uses a totally sealed high pressure system consisting of a pump, steel lines, and injectors to deliver the fuel to the cylinders. There is no chance of the fuel evaporating before it can be introduced to the combustion chamber unless you have a leak. Since the system is sealed priming is unnecessary.
As stated earlier, any diesel engine must be primed any time the fuel system is "opened", and the seal broken...as in changing the fuel filter (s).
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I know holding down off to prime my onan diesel generator is true and it does work. Heaven knows I run it out of gas often enough

Not sure about a gas genny tho...
Don't recall how it was on the pace arrow...
For my diesel I hold down start it primes then starts.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
BY the late 90s, the 'push to prime' was standard. Before that, there was no priming capability. In my case, I have bored a tiny hole in the intake manifold (plastic, I might add), and spray one seconds worth of starting fluid in the hole in the manifold. Wait another few seconds, and the gem fires up like it was new.

Tags
gas, generator, onan