Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Onan generator,,It drain my brain out,

I have 1979 titan onan generator with 6.5-NH-3CR/16000J
It crank when I hold push buttons and cut off as soon as I released.
I have checked oil pressure s/w it works, Carburetors is good, I notice when I released start buttons there is no power feed to fuel pump (which fuel pump power supplied from (+) ign coil)
I need your expertise options
supercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have schematics? Onan says open R-1 resistor or defective K-3 (run) relay if oil pressure switch is ok.
Both fuel pump and coil are energized by K-3 after K-1 start relay drops off.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen Onan's shut down soon as the button is released due to bad brushes.

I assume the computer says: "No output, so no sense wasting fuel"
Old 08-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Thank you for opinions i'll check those tonight.
supercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Service manual for your unit: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/900-0196.pdf

As you know you do not have a computerized generator. The control circuit information is located on pdf page 26. The battery supplies the power for ignition when the start button is depressed. When the Start button is released ignition power is provided by the generator itself via R1 and F2. You indicated it trys to run when the start button is depressed. That indicates that the F2 and the ignition circuit is working properly. Problem is in the portion of the generator that supplies the run voltage. Bad or dirty brushes are a good probability.

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check to see if your altitude setting is right. On my Onan there is a dial to set the altitude for the area you are in. When I leave GA and head west and get in the higher altitudes I have to adjust it to keep it running.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #7

Same problem I had with my 6.5 onan. Dirty brushes left a build up aand residue around them and caused arcing/short. Onan tech cleaned brushes and stator (brillo pad taped to screwdriver while turning over the generator a few turns with starter). Was 4-5 years ago and no problem since. Cost me a $100 to learn that trick.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan