Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #1

Onan generator problem

I have a Onan Micro Quiet 4000. It will only stay running as long as you hold the switch to the start position in the motor home or on the generator.
It's in a 2005 Coachmen Leprechaun if it matters.
Any one had this problem before and know the solution?
Also where can you source parts for these such as control boards etc?
Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Here is a link to the current manual:

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

It says low fluid level or call Cummins. Cummins now owns Onan. Your unit may pre date the aquistion so there may be a better manual around. Check the tag for the series number and use Google. Several sources have posted the pdf file for down load once you know the exact version you have. As an example I have a Microquiet KY manual I assume is the one I need. ;-)

There are many threads in this forum as well as many YouTube video's about the unit. Once you have nailed down what you have use the search or add to this thread.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Here is a link to the current manual:

https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

It says low fluid level or call Cummins. Cummins now owns Onan. Your unit may pre date the aquistion so there may be a better manual around. Check the tag for the series number and use Google. Several sources have posted the pdf file for down load once you know the exact version you have. As an example I have a Microquiet KY manual I assume is the one I need. ;-)

There are many threads in this forum as well as many YouTube video's about the unit. Once you have nailed down what you have use the search or add to this thread.

Cummins has owned Onan since '86 so most units still on the road are Cummins/Onan units.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

Thanks for getting me started!. I doubt low oil is the problem as I didn't run it much at all this season but I will give it a check.
I'm guessing the only parts source will be through Cummins therefore expensive!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

If there is a l.e.d. on start/stop switch it can display fault codes narrowing your troubleshooting efforts.
Pretty sure your vintage micro quiet has the fault code feature. If so press stop three times and see what code it gives you, once it blinks a single digit code another press of stop will display the 2 digit fault code
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...WFBeZ5etwPRzgw
Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Thanks for getting me started!. I doubt low oil is the problem as I didn't run it much at all this season but I will give it a check.
I'm guessing the only parts source will be through Cummins therefore expensive!
Not at all. When I had generator problems I called these people:

Onan Generator Voltage Regulator and Control Board Parts

They diagnosed the problem and had the parts I needed to get my generator up and running.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

Had the same problem on mine it was the control board.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

You also want to check the oil pressure sensor switch. I have seen several reports of them failing with similar symptoms. No point in changing the control board until you know the inputs are good.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

I believe that vintage unit will still be the 'old school' version like mine, it generates in a voltage in / voltage out basis so i shuts down at unsafe levels.

You can start the engine with as little as 10 volts, but that would mean it would only have a 100 volt output.

Try charging the house battery, or use a known good battery temporarily to test.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Afubar,
Just disconnect the wire at the oil switch to test it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #11

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone and thanks afubar for the link to the place where I can buy parts. Lots of helpful info on that site.
Haven't had the chance to mess with the gen much other than check the oil.
That was weird too. I pulled the dip stick and I swear it was on the add line. Thought I found my problem.
I looked up what weight oil to add and I didn't have any on hand.
The motor home needed gas anyhow so I took it to the gas station to fill it and buy the oil.
I got home to add the oil and pulled the dip stick again. Now it shows full and I can actually see the oil in the neck of the hole where the dip stick goes in.
So I thought by driving it it splashed the oil around. Waited a couple hours to let the oil all drain back in the pan and checked it again. Same thing it showed to be full. I don't know maybe I was seeing things the first time I checked it.

I will get a chance to look into it more this week. Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful replies.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Up north,
I have the Same experience with the oil dipstick multiple times. I expect this is normal.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #13

Onan generator problem

One issue with Onan's, especially older ones is if the unit is shut down with load still on can cause voltage regulators to fail. Always remove as much load as possible first. Turn off Air Conditioners or any heavy loads before turning off the generator.
Maxwedge413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #14

Haven't solved this issue yet. The trouble code I get is 4 flashes indicating cranking the motor for more than 30 seconds without a engine start.
Been waiting for a response from Flight Systems for a opinion from them before ordering a control board which is my suspicion of what the problem is.
They haven't returned my voice or email in 2 days.

This may wait until spring now.

Tags
generator, onan