Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
"They need a trap door from inside,... "

I wish I could do thst, un fortunately, the gas tank is directly under the grey tank.

1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiedad3 View Post
Blow back through hose, after a clunk sound, had clear line. Then it ran fine for mine.
Dad3, when you say "blow back through the hose" are you using an air compressor or just blowing by mouth? I'm afraid of blowing up the hose, or blowing off the fuel take up hose. By the way, does anyone know what this take up hose is made of and how it's connected to the tank? I hear people saying that it might have fallen off in the tank, how possible is this? I checked my hose all the way almost to the tank and there is not a second filter that I could find so far and the hose didn't seem to have any holes or cracks in it. As soon as I can I will jack up the back and see what I can see on the back side of the axle. How does the fuel line attach to the gas tank, with a hose clamp?
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #31

Here is some photos posted elsewhere on here by another member. If I can remember the pits, I'll put a link to it.

Generator supply attaches to the black fitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409003536.321324.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	71955
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409003574.213008.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	71956

1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Turn down the regulator on your air compressor, 20-25 psi shouldn't burst a fuel hose. It should be a separate hose connected to the twist lock cap on the top of the tank. It's a second pick up, a bit shorter than the main engine pick up so you don't drain the tank with the generator. Rare for the pick up in tank to fail, not rare for the sock to be blocked by sediments. Also, if you have a small vacuum pump, you can try blowing to clear the sock then attach the hand suction pump to try to pull gas through the line. A pin-hole or split hose will draw air in and prevent gas from flowing from the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #33

Onan Fuel Pump

My Onan Emerald 5500 would run fine for 1/2 hour or so when it was hot outside and then shutdown. The error code only said the system did not initiate the shutdown (meaning gen shutdown on its own). This might be error 36..
Anyway the problem was the low pressure fuel pump (small electric) under the generator. I bought mine on Amazon for $50 - it is the EXact same pump as the Onan ($150). Problem solved. This is common problem with Onan. BTW Onan has now switch the fuel filter arrangement, eliminating the filter before the fuel pump and changing the type filter at carb. Note that the threads on this are unusual to try and force you to use Onan filters. You can avoid this by changing out the fitting where the fuel pump and carb connect. The fuel line from fuel pump to filter is also too short with the new arrangement so be prepared to replace this. Need about 16"
biker29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #34

Air compressor, and you take the gas cap off to relieve pressure. After it ends up being a clog, take the air chuck and blow air through the filler neck. You should are gas start coming out the generator line .
preemiedad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker29 View Post
My Onan Emerald 5500 would run fine for 1/2 hour or so when it was hot outside and then shutdown. The error code only said the system did not initiate the shutdown (meaning gen shutdown on its own). This might be error 36..
Anyway the problem was the low pressure fuel pump (small electric) under the generator. I bought mine on Amazon for $50 - it is the EXact same pump as the Onan ($150). Problem solved. This is common problem with Onan. BTW Onan has now switch the fuel filter arrangement, eliminating the filter before the fuel pump and changing the type filter at carb. Note that the threads on this are unusual to try and force you to use Onan filters. You can avoid this by changing out the fitting where the fuel pump and carb connect. The fuel line from fuel pump to filter is also too short with the new arrangement so be prepared to replace this. Need about 16"

I have the mr gasket 42s replacement low pressure pump
preemiedad3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan