Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Onan generator question

This is my first post. I would like to say thanks in advance for your support.
I purchased a 2002 31 ft. C class Rv about a year ago. It has an Onan generator model 5.5 HGJAB-901A. I was doing some work on it a while back, running the roof AC and a heat gun at the same time. I was powered up with the generator. It tripped the breaker and I lost power. I reset both the 30 amp and 20 amp breakers on the Onan. I then realized I can only get power to the RV through the 20 amp breaker. I took some voltage checks at the breakers and found out I have 121 volts on both sides of both breakers in the on position. Both breakers seem to be working correctly but I'm not getting ac power into the rv through the 30 amp breaker. The 20 amp breaker powers things up perfect. I am a rookie but it seems to me something isn't right. What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Internal breaker inside the MH? Besides the breaker on generator itself, you should have breaker panel inside MH, check there.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

There should be a transfer switch after the generator. Then on to the main panel.

What does the 20 amp circuit run ?

Did you check all of the outlets ? Could it be a GFCI that needs reseting ?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

I did reset the breakers inside the MH, and all the fuses inside checked out as well.
I have no ac power inside at all with the 30 amp breaker on. With the 20 amp breaker on My ac works, fridge and microwave also. But i haven't checked the outlets inside the mh on the 20 amp breaker.......Just curious, why do I have a 20 & 30 amp breaker on my Onan?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Twinboat, another question I have is , do I have a transfer switch? I have to plug my coach shore plug into an outlet in the same compartment to power up the mh.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

Check bathroom or kitchen ground fault interrupter is tripped
Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim FL View Post
Twinboat, another question I have is , do I have a transfer switch? I have to plug my coach shore plug into an outlet in the same compartment to power up the mh.
No transfer switch with that setup
Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

Thanks guys, I'll check the coach outlets tomorrow
Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you have the same set up as we had on our previous motor home no transfer switch. When we unplugged from shore power we plugged the cord back into the genny receptacle. I am not an electrician so I cannot give you technical advise but if you are getting voltage coming from both genny breakers then you need to test the receptacle to see if it is getting voltage if so then you need to test right at the main breakers in your coach to see if you are getting voltage there. The cord could be bad too.

I would turn off the main breaker at the panel in the coach before I started testing and remember not to plug or unplug the cord while the genny is running.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Something does not sound correct...

No ats with 2 breakers on genny.

Trace out and check voltages.

Unplug cord to genny start and with both genny breakers on see if anything inside powers up and if so turn off breakers one at a time to see which one causes off.

Next measure voltage in outlet for genny and again flip breakers to confirm which one is connected to it.

Next open ac load center and with genny plugged in and running measure voltages and confirm grounds and returns.

Is a shore connection available and how does it do?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim FL View Post
I did reset the breakers inside the MH, and all the fuses inside checked out as well.
I have no ac power inside at all with the 30 amp breaker on. With the 20 amp breaker on My ac works, fridge and microwave also. But i haven't checked the outlets inside the mh on the 20 amp breaker.......Just curious, why do I have a 20 & 30 amp breaker on my Onan?
I have a 5500 generator in my 99 MH.

I believe the 30 amp breaker should be supplying your power from the generator. The 20 amp is not used unless it is setup for 240 volts, or optional AC units.

Do you have a standard 3 blade 30 amp service plug ?

I checked the wiring diagram and it shows the black wire going to the 30 amp breaker and the red wire to the 20 amp.

Does it look like the outlet you plug your shore power cord into has been worked on or replaced ?

The wrong wire could be hooked up.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Twinboat, I think you are correct. It appears the wrong breaker is powering the mh. All of the outlets, ac, microwave, and fridge work as they should but only on the 20 amp circuit. The 30 amp breaker powers nothing. My shore power plug is the standard 3 blade 30 amp plug. Both breakers have black wires out, no red. So it would be easy to wire the wrong breaker. The mh was 13 years old when I purchased it so no telling what has been done in the past. I guess it would be a good idea to rewire it so the mh is running on the 30 amp breaker.
Gentlemen, thank you.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

If you have an inverter, check the rocker breaker on the actual inverter. It controls several outlets and will trip if you pull too much power from an outlet supplied through the inverter. I did this once and experienced what you are, once I found the breaker(which was by accident as I wouldn't think to look there) and reset it everything worked as it should. Not sure if your set up is the same as mine but it is worth a try.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #14

Thanks Mike, how can I find out if I have an inverter or where might I look for it?

Tags
generator, onan