Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Onan Generator question

I have a Marquis Gold 5.5 carborated Onan. Every month I turn it on if it isn't being used and let it run for an hour. This time after it started it quit running. The code comes up: 4 & 36, no gas, but my tank had 1/2 tank. Would not prime, disconnected gas line from back of pump, got 2 gal can of gas, added fuel hose from gas can to back side of pump. Engaged start switch & it ran for 45 min. I hit stop, disconnected gas can from fuel line from back of pump, reconnected fuel line from mtr home gas tank to pump. Before that blew compressor air thru fuel line to tank, blew gas out thru filler neck all clear. Restarted generator, ran for a few minutes and ran out of gas again, still will not prime. Prime doesn't make that clicking sound when pressing start like it should. The carburetor was replaced about a year ago, could it be the fuel pump? Has anyone had this problem with startup? Mtr home generator fuel line and carb bowl both dry again..stumped! Was thinking of using a electric faucet fuel pump attached to gas line to tank to see if it pulls gas...your ideas & thoughts please

Rick Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go fill your Gas Tank, topping it off. Run generator. If it now continues to run you have a hole in your generator fuel pick up tube or it has fallen away inside the tank. Good Luck!!

TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Generator question

Thank you...I'll give it a try...will keep you posted
Rick Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tandw has a good idea, another reason if it continues to run would be your gas gauge isn't accurate and you have less gas than it indicates. But you should be able to tell that by how much gas you put in.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Rick, if it still gives you problems after you top off your tank, I would check for a crack or split in the fuel line between the pump and your fuel tank.

I had a problem similar to yours with our Onan 5.5 and a break in the rubber line where it was connected to the fuel tank was causing the pump to suck air and no fuel.

Best of luck, Jim
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd bet on a laaky fuel line, sucking air instead of gas. The air leaks can be extremely hard to see/detect.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I'd hope it's not a cracked line at the top of the fuel tank. I just had my fuel pump replaced on my 95 Bounder - they needed to drop the tank. After I paid the bill, the svc mgr bought a new Mercedes. I got the better deal, though - my vehicle has a potty & a bedroom - HIS DON'T!!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
got 2 gal can of gas, added fuel hose from gas can to back side of pump. Engaged start switch & it ran for 45 min. I hit stop,

I believe you answered your question. As other's have said, I too believe you have a bad gas line from your tank to the Generator. Good Luck,
David G.
USAF 1959-1963/ JFK Innaguration parade 1961,
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y, 460 ENGINE on FORD chassis, Power Platform with Tag Axle.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
If you have a hand held vacumn pump with the brake bleeder attachment you can hook this up to the generator to fuel tank line and do a test.
If when pumping the vac pump handle either no gas is drawn into the container or you can't build any vacumn then you have a hole in the line or a problem with the pick up in the tank.

If you have no vacumn or no gas at the generator then go to the tank and perform the test again. This will test the pick up in the tank. no vacumn or no gas, will probably have to pull the tank if the pick up can't be accessed.

leadman is offline   Reply With Quote