Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Onan generator shuts off after 45 minutes.

My 2000 Bounder has a 5500 watt Onan generator. It will run fine forever when the motorhome is stationary. When we are on the road, it will run for about 45 minutes and then shut off. It is then very hard to get restarted. If it restarts, it will run again for a few minutes and then shut off again. I thought at first that it might be overheating, but that doesn't make sense if it will run continuously while stationary. My second thought is that it is running out of gas, possibly because of a vacuum problem when the coach motor is running. I see no change in performance with the coach motor when this happens. Oil and air filter are fine. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
My 2000 Bounder has a 5500 watt Onan generator. It will run fine forever when the motorhome is stationary. When we are on the road, it will run for about 45 minutes and then shut off. It is then very hard to get restarted. If it restarts, it will run again for a few minutes and then shut off again. I thought at first that it might be overheating, but that doesn't make sense if it will run continuously while stationary. My second thought is that it is running out of gas, possibly because of a vacuum problem when the coach motor is running. I see no change in performance with the coach motor when this happens. Oil and air filter are fine. Thoughts?
Are you getting a fault code?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You don't mention how much fuel you have in the tank at the time the generator quits but it could be the sloshing of fuel while driving put the level of fuel below the pickup tube for the generator and you suck air. It also could explain why it is hard starting since you now have air in the line. The pick up tube could also be a little higher in the tank than normal which makes the problem more pronounced.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
with mid summer heat (and poor ventilation) it could be simple vapor lock

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #5

To answer some of the replies...It will do it no matter the fuel level. I am aware that most motorhomes will not allow generator operation if the tank is below 1/4. It will even do it on flat highways with a full tank. Also, I am not aware of any fault codes. How do I check those?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Could it possibly be something with the gas cap not allowing enough ventilation, causing vaporlock?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had same symptoms with a bad fuel pump. Replaced it and all was OK. It was also an Onan 5500. It is not hard to replace, it is under the generator. It looks almost like a filter but has two wire going into it.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
How about oil level, checked it? I have an older Onan (1996) in my RV and was driving mountain roads with the generator on to run the A/C and it generator would die and I would have to restart it. It did this several times then I noticed it would only die while I was on an incline then it dawned on me that there is a low oil switch that shuts the generator down when it reaches a low oil level. On the next stop I checked the level and sure enough it was low, added oil and it ran fine the rest of the trip.
Ron
Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Opps, I just read your post again and noticed that you indicated that "oil and filter are fine". Sorry.
Ron
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #10

No problem, I appreciate any help that I can get on this one. We will be traveling in the heat this Sunday and I will need the generator to power the roof air in addition to the dash a/c.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Fault code will be a sequence of "blinks" of the lighted start switch immediately after an unplanned shut-down. It helps if you read about them in the manual first o you understand what kinds of sequences to look for.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have had this problem since you owned the coach, you might consider heat from the engine muffler system causing an overheat problem with the generator fuel line and vapor lock. Check the fuel line to the gen and it's closenest to a heat source created with the engine running. Try insulating the gen gas line.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #13

Well, on the 600 mile trip home from our vacation, I loosened the gas cap on the motorhome and tried running the generator while traveling that way. Strangely enough, the generator ran smoothly the whole time and did not shut off. Do you think that I just need a new gas cap or is this a symptom of a weak fuel pump like someone had earlier suggested?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I would suspect the fuel pump. BUT, a new gas cap is cheaper than a new fuel pump and might be worth a try...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote