Hi Folks. I have a 1981 Foretravel with a 1976 Onan 6.5 KW generator. The generator sporadically will not start from the inside start/stop switch and I have suspected there is a short somewhere. Also, ocassionally upon starting the generator, my dash voltmeter indicates a massive amount of volts. The meter measures up to 16 volts and it tops out.
I removed the cover of the junction box that sits atop the generator and there is indeed a burnt wire in there. One of the two plastic splice caps was burned off and the plastic wire casing had burned off.
I suspect this may have ocurred when the isolator diode failed a few months ago, but I can't be sure. In any case, this burnt wire appears to go into the generator. I taped it up as best I could but the problems of intermittant starting from the inside switch and high voltage upon startup remain.
I can't really do more without pulling the generator.
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? It appears that the generator is mounted on a plate that will slide out if some bolts are removed, but I know this thing is heavy. (305 pounds according to the manual)
What do people generally use to remove and replace a generator?
1981 Foretravel Travco w/Cat Diesel Pusher & Allison Tranny, Towing 4x4 Samurai & Hauling Big Yellow Lab