Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Onan Generator Wiring Question

Hello everyone! I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with. Now I am a green horn when it comes to rving and just bought my first motor home. I am trying to get the Onan Genset 1 4.0 bge generator to stay running but when you take your finger off the rocker switch it dies. Now I had a friend look at it as I am not that electrically savvy and he said its having trouble converting dc to ac or something like that and it could be the voltage regulator. Now before I go buy expensive parts the wiring for the remote start looks funny to me! Can anyone tell me the order of colors the wires are suppose to go? Right no there are four wires and it goes from top left black brown yellow then the bottom right has a red wire. Dose this mean anything to anyone? Then on the board it went wire 3-1-2. Is this right??!! If anyone can help I would super appreciate it!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

I also have a picture but I can't copy and paste it to the forum. How do I do that?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Can you follow instructions and use a voltmeter?

Locate the full model number that is on a tag somewhere on the generator.

Now use Google or other search engine and use the brand, model number and the words "service manual" and locate a soft copy of the manual.

Also post the model number here as someone may already have a copy.

Read the operating instructions 2 times and then retry again being certian all switches and other controls in correct place.

If still no good review the troubleshooting section and follow the process as it will ask yes/no questions with tasks to do as you go.

It could be a simple interlock or loose wire on the oil pressure sending unit that allows engine to start and run while in start mode but shut down in run mode.

You do not sound self confident in working on it which is fine!

Do NOT just do things blindly as you may hurt yourself or damage the unit so focus on getting your hands on a soft copy of the manual.

When folks make a suggestion yiu can review it in the manual so you will have clear direction on how to complete the suggestions correctly for your unit.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconhorst View Post
Hello everyone! I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with. Now I am a green horn when it comes to rving and just bought my first motor home. I am trying to get the Onan Genset 1 4.0 bge generator to stay running but when you take your finger off the rocker switch it dies. Now I had a friend look at it as I am not that electrically savvy and he said its having trouble converting dc to ac or something like that and it could be the voltage regulator. Now before I go buy expensive parts the wiring for the remote start looks funny to me! Can anyone tell me the order of colors the wires are suppose to go? Right no there are four wires and it goes from top left black brown yellow then the bottom right has a red wire. Dose this mean anything to anyone? Then on the board it went wire 3-1-2. Is this right??!! If anyone can help I would super appreciate it!!
Onan gas typical of a board failure is the cutoff at the release of the button. I contacted these guys http://www.flightsystems.com/ and they fixed me up with a replacement.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

How much gas is in your tank? If it's around 1/4 the generator will not run.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #6

If it runs while in start mode it is getting fuel.

If it has an oil pressure safety shut down then the engine also Is interlocked to bypass the shutdown while starting as there is no oil pressure during this time on most.

As soon as ign in run mode the interlock is set so low oil pressure shuts off engine.

Usually it is an oil light sending unit that uses a ground.

Check for a loose wire but read the manual.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
falconhorst,

did you prime the carb?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I have all of the BGE Manuals in PDF- too large to post on here- PM me your email and I'll send them.
It almost certainly has no (or insufficent) AC output. Step 1 is to open the control box on the generator (the box with the start switch on the generator itself) and check for AC voltage at the breaker. Report back what that reading is. You'll have to measure it while you hold down the start switch, after it starts, obviously.

If low/no AC out, next step would be to check the brushes, they are under a cover on the end of the generator itself. Check for length, damage, etc. Clean the slip ring where the brushes ride on with 400 sand paper while spinning the Generator over. If this does not fix the problem- next is the transformer.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

I have the same problem: let go of the switch and the generator dies.

Look at the code (light on the switch blinks when it cuts out. Count the blinks. Then push stop once and count the second series of blinks). Mine was 3. then 4 with a pause, then 5.

I checked with cumins via email and they responded really quickly :

Dear Dave,
Thank you for contacting Cummins Power Generation. Fault code 45 indicates speed sense lost, so the controller has sensed that the quadrature winding frequency dropped below 0Hz for 1 continuous second and can no longer monitor the speed of the engine through the generator end. There are a number of possibilities, but it could be as simple as a bad wire connection.....

I went back out and check the connections, disconnected then reconnected them and now it will start and run, but as soon as it clicks over to take a load, it quits.

I'm going to take it to the cumins shop and have them look at it again (the genes was pulled and sent to them because it was putting out more the 130 volts intermittently).

Tags
generator, onan, wiring