Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Onan generator won't take a load

My 2003 onan hgjab won't take a load. It will start and idle, but run overrich under load until finally dying. This generator hadn't been run for 6 months. Any help would be appreciated.
atomic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic98 View Post
My 2003 onan hgjab won't take a load. It will start and idle, but run overrich under load until finally dying. This generator hadn't been run for 6 months. Any help would be appreciated.
It probably has varnish in the fuel system due to sitting for 6 months, some folks had had luck with spraying sea foam into the carb....good luck. I would let it idle for a few hours might clear up.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

when was your last service?
Bobm1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
I had a similar problem until it just plain wouldn't start with my last coach. Apparently the previous owner wasn't aware that you need to run it for an hour under load EVERY month.

Long story short, I replaced the carb and all was well. Ran it monthly and problem never came back. I usually rebuild all my carbs but these are well sealed from the factory and tough/impossible to buy internal parts for.
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Pull the black altitude adjust knob off the bottom of the carb. Mark the face of the now exposed brass mixture knob with a sharpie. Count how many turns it takes to close it all the way closed. Then open back to that same point plus a 1/4turn.

The best way to prevent the gas ruining the carb is to use the screw on the bottom of the carb and drain the carb when it's going to sit for a while and not be used. Running an engine out of gas doesn't work either. A little bit of gas is always left behind that will varnish. And there is always a little dirt and debris in the bottom of the float bowl the will get sucked into the orifices when you refill and try to restart.

The only way the Seafoam would work is if you removed the fuel line to the carb and some how got the Seafoam inside the carb float bowl. Spraying any kind of carb cleaner down the butter fly of the just wastes carb cleaner.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Maligator the carb on the HGJAB is very easy to take apart and clean. No need for a rebuild kit, because you are right one is not available.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
Maligator the carb on the HGJAB is very easy to take apart and clean. No need for a rebuild kit, because you are right one is not available.
Hmm, mine was totally sealed up. I Couldn't get the bowl off without possibly destroying it.

edit: My unit was a 4k microquiet. I guess I missed that part of the OP. Sorry.
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Keeping your gen happy by draining fuel; also how to run seafoam mix thru it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
Pull the black altitude adjust knob off the bottom of the carb. Mark the face of the now exposed brass mixture knob with a sharpie. Count how many turns it takes to close it all the way closed. Then open back to that same point plus a 1/4turn.

The best way to prevent the gas ruining the carb is to use the screw on the bottom of the carb and drain the carb when it's going to sit for a while and not be used. Running an engine out of gas doesn't work either. A little bit of gas is always left behind that will varnish. And there is always a little dirt and debris in the bottom of the float bowl the will get sucked into the orifices when you refill and try to restart.

The only way the Seafoam would work is if you removed the fuel line to the carb and some how got the Seafoam inside the carb float bowl. Spraying any kind of carb cleaner down the butter fly of the just wastes carb cleaner.
Agreed about just draining the float bowl with the screw when you're done with the generator for a relatively extended period. However I don't know how many/which models actually have a drain screw. But my point is that if you HAVE a drain screw that will allow you to drain your float bowl of the fuel that's in it when you're done with your gen for a few weeks, most definitely do it. If you do you won't have problems when you run it the next time.

And for the seafoam trick, again you're right that spraying it in the carb does nothing. If you expect the carb is fouled because it sat with oldish gas in it, you must run fuel mixed with seafoam through it to have any hope of clearing it. Spraying it in does exactly...nothing. It's intended to run through while the engine is running to do it's work. I am a motorcyclist so have an auxiliary fuel tank because I need to do some work with the bikes running but with the fuel tank off. It works nicely for feeding the gen a seafoam/gas mix to clean it out. I put about a 25% seafoam/75% gasoline mix in my auxiliary tank Robot Check, disconnected the fuel line at the carburetor and connected the aux tank, and let the seafoam/fuel mix run the gen for about an hour shortly after I bought my used RV. That did the trick. The seafoam works by actually running through the internal passages of the carburetor, cleaning them over time as it goes. That's why spraying it does nothing...it needs to work with the carb actually "doing it's thing", moving the fuel/seafoam mix through itself.

So, if you have a problem with the generator not running correctly, try the auxiliary tank idea to be able to easily run a seafoam and fuel blend through the gen. And, if you're lucky enough to have a fuel drain screw on the bottom of your carb, use that when you're done with the gen and won't use it for, say, at least a couple weeks and that should keep everything happy for the next time you need to run it.
Andy Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

His model for sure has a drain screw.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

I used pchuckie's routine and it takes a strong load now. Thanks!
atomic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Awesome

Tags
generator, onan