Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #1

Onan Micro Quiet only runs when start pressed

Has anyone ever had a issue with your Onan generator where it only runs when the starter button is pressed?

Here is the back story - 1997 Fleetwood Tioga, we got used a few months ago. We have used it a few times and the generator worked fine. The last trip you could start the generator no problem - it would run about 20-30 minutes and than die. So i replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, and solenoid. The Spark plug looks good. Now i have it all back together and I can get it to start, but it will only stay running when when the starter button is pressed. It was generating ac no problem before i replaced the other items, and the oil is right in the middle between add and full. I know my starter is dieing so i am going to replace that too - but does anyone have any ideas on what is making it stall out after i release the starter button?

Thanks!!
Leukass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a tech once told me that if your generator is stalling that it's usually one of two things - fuel or overheating - but it sounds like you have checked those things and it might be something electrical (since it only runs with your starter button pushed)

Sorry I can't be of more assistance here, good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

An older Onan 4K KY type generator works on a voltage in / voltage out type basis.

If you give it 12 volts it puts out 120 volts, but if you only give it 10 volts, it can only produce 100 volts. In order to protect your electronics below a certain output voltage the generator shuts down. It can clip excess voltage, if you're giving it 13.5 volts, but it can't boost low voltage.

I suspect that either your house batteries are low, or you have a poor connection between then and the generator or poor ground.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

could be the oil pressure switch.When you go to start it has no oil pressure so the board does not look at oil pressure until you let go of the start button then if you have low or no oil pressure it shuts down. check the switch by jumping it. If it keeps running it's a bad switch. Or you really have no oil pressure (unlikely since you said you have enough oil in it).
luqutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

I agree with Lugutus. If your oil pressure switch fails or you are actually low on oil it will do exactly what you describe. Jumper around it to check.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

The later ones do not have a low oil pressure switch, they were so problematic that Onan stopped including them on the KY 4000's I think about when the name changed from Micro-Lite to Micro-Quiet.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Try smokstak forum. We just traveled down to ocean city md. And we ran our microquiet 4000 for about an hour before it died. I was fuming mad since it was 85 degrees out and we now had no ac. Worst nights sleep. But here's what I
Earned about my gen set: if you tap the start stop button 3 times to stop it will give you a code with flashes. Like 33 or 44. If you press it another time it will give you another cod that your on an service dealer will check. Give it a shot. I'll be pulling mine out when I get home and taking it to my Oman buddy to get fixed
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

SO you have a guy that is good with Onan's - and you are new Ocean City... Any chance you are from PA? I am near Harrisburg and not sure where to take this thing if i can't get it running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage98 View Post
Try smokstak forum. We just traveled down to ocean city md. And we ran our microquiet 4000 for about an hour before it died. I was fuming mad since it was 85 degrees out and we now had no ac. Worst nights sleep. But here's what I
Earned about my gen set: if you tap the start stop button 3 times to stop it will give you a code with flashes. Like 33 or 44. If you press it another time it will give you another cod that your on an service dealer will check. Give it a shot. I'll be pulling mine out when I get home and taking it to my Oman buddy to get fixed
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As you describe it; It very well could be a connection. Make sure the plug behind the Circuit breaker/start switch is still connected. Also wiggle and reconnect the other plugs to the left of the start button. It's very, very common for the generators to have a " Only runs when the start switch is pressed " ....

You can find the service manual here;

Index of /~n0nas/manuals/onan
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

sounds really odd now too - maybe i didn't put something back together correctly? HAs anyone heard one sound like this?
https://youtu.be/DJmP-qMeAj8
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukass View Post
SO you have a guy that is good with Onan's - and you are new Ocean City... Any chance you are from PA? I am near Harrisburg and not sure where to take this thing if i can't get it running...

SO I am close to you as I'm in Chester county. I know a few generator guys and have to hit them up when I get back. Most are near Philly and since I'm an electrician I have worked with them on larger gensets. I'll let you know next week.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #12

So I talked to someone I know that works for Cummins onan, he doesn't work on the rv units but he recommended that a full pm be done to the genset since the fault code describes a fuel problem. He also said clean the slip rings since that will be another issue to cause this. I have the service manual if your interested, I can email it to you if you need it. I ordered all the parts I believe I need so when I get home tomorrow I'll be pulling the genset from the motor home and digging in.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #13

Sounds like you have the solenoid wired wrong
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
Sounds like you have the solenoid wired wrong
^^ That's what I'm thinking - something wired on the wrong terminals.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, quiet