Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2006, 04:31 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
When changing oil on my Marquis Gold 5.5 it seems I can never get the entire 2 qrts thats called for into it. I run it until hot and the drain it, and drop the filter. Also it takes oil very slow ? Have you guys seen these same symptoms? Is it normal?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:31 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
When changing oil on my Marquis Gold 5.5 it seems I can never get the entire 2 qrts thats called for into it. I run it until hot and the drain it, and drop the filter. Also it takes oil very slow ? Have you guys seen these same symptoms? Is it normal?

Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #3

I've seen the same thing with mine. Believe I could only get 1-1/2 quarts back into it (and it was slow).
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

On my last coach I had an Onan Marquis Gold 7KW genset. I did notice that it didn't quite take the full "spec'd" amount and I always had a little left over. The important thing is to make sure it's level, drain all the old stuff out, then fill to the level on the dipstick. Be sure to run it a bit to make sure that the oil gets into the filter, then recheck. Make sure it's to the full level on the indicator. Newer overfill as it will cause foaming when the crankshaft hits it. I just refer to the spec sheet as an approximate oil quantity.

I did find it helpful to drop the opposite side leveling jacks when filling. However, you'll have to relevel before checking or else it'll be too full.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #5

I have the Marquis Gold 5.5 KW and I use a technique similar to Cruzer. I run the genset a short while to get the oil warm after leveling the coach. I open the drain valve, then remove the oil filter. After installing the new filter and closing the drain valve I put the jacks down on the drivers side to raise that side. I then pour the first quart in which goes fairly quick. About a third of the way through the second quart it slows down. A steady slow stream seems to go in better at that point. When it does not go below the fill opening I put the dipstick cap on and crank the genset a few seconds. I find I can then put more in. I then start it and run it a short bit. After that I have been able to pour the rest of the second quart in without going over the full mark. I raise the jacks and then check the level again. Have not gone over the full mark or had the oil foam.

John

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks alot GUYZ, now I know its not an issue, you all seem to have the same process for changing oil. I lean the coach to the drivers side to help empty the crank case. I think next time I'll lean her the other way to fill er up. 1 3/4 qts showed full on the dip stick.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #7

Funny you should mention it. I changed my oil & filter in my 5.5 Onan yesterday. I dropped the filter and when I unscrewed the petcock to drain the oil, nothing came out. With the refill cap off I could tell it was full but nothing came out. Had me going for a while and I almost called Onan after messing with it for a half hour or so. Than I pulled the rubber drain hose off and found a perfect leakproof plug in it (Dirtdobbers) I presume. Anyway it drained fine than just took a long time to get it all out. I filled the Filter with new oil, installed it and than poured the remaining of the 2 qts in the Genset. 1st qt fast second one a lot slower but it held the required 2 qts.
Cris
Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
OK, so no one has mentioned the proper way to check your oil level. From Onan, put a level on the gen to see where your 'level factor' is. Perhaps you just check it sitting in your driveway (if your gen is level) or perhaps you have to use your jacks to level your coach to check it either way make sure your gen is level. Now the tricky part. If you just go back and check your oil on the dip stick lets say first thing in the morning before you have even run it and you are level, your dipstick more than likely will show you need oil. I was told to remove the dipstick wipe it clean screw it back down and remove it again and check the level. Do you all agree with this? The part about screwing your dipstick in each time you check the oil?

Bob
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #9

The coach is level before checking the oil level. I do agree with Bob that you need to remove the oil fill cap & dipstick (the official Onan terminology)and wipe the dipstick. Then screw cap back on, unscrew the cap again, and then observe the oil level on the dipstick.

John

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Why is it that the second reading I get is always a little higher than the first
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
By releasing the screw (dip stick) you eliminate the air that was trapped there under compression (you don't realize it though) and the oil fills that void after that.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
YosemiteBobR,

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought but I had never encountered that in other small engines before. Maybe the Onan is sealed much better than most. Doesn't it have a breather for the crank case?
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just changed the oil in our 4.5 Gold a couple days ago. Oil drained out fine, first quart went in fine, second quart took quite a while longer, as the owner's manual said it would. When I thought no more would fit, I put the cap on the filler opening and started it up for about 10 seconds, shut it off, checked the level and there was room for more, rest went in just about as fast as the first quart. I wanted to use synthetic but couldn't find any strait 40 weight, went with 10/30 synthetic, anyone think that might be a problem? We usually aren't out using it in 90 plus degree weather.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Believe it or not Easy, I always used Harley Davidson oil in my other generators. IMHO it is the best severe duty, air cooled engine oil on the market. I even use it in my lawn mower. Since this is the first brand new coach I've ownwed I have been sticking with the Onan oil, for how long is not certain. Genny only has 59 hrs so far. 3rd oild change.