Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Onan question

When I disconnect the fuel line (supply-side) from the fuel pump, there is no diesel in that line. When I disconnect the return side, diesel runs out immediately. Don't sound right to me.

BTW: the danged fuel pump is mounted in such a manner that you have to raise the generator off the rack to take the pump out! What a PITA!
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Does the generator run ok? If so, don't sweat the small stuff.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You have a feed and a return line on diesel engines
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Trying to wrap my head around the problem. I think I have made a mountain from an ant hill! The return line is visibly deteriorated. No sign of fuel leakage, but it is crunched up fairly bad. Engine will start and run with fuel supply line pulling from a container of diesel within 3' of the fuel pump. Hook it back up to the line going to the RV tank and it will not run at all (well it ran for maybe a minute, roughly before shutting down). The supply line is not visibly damaged as best I can see. Can a damaged return line somehow allow air to get into the system?

How the heck does one figure out which lines are which (engine supply/return, generator supply/return, etc) on the top of the fuel tank. Hard enough to even see the lines through the fuel door. Beginning to wonder if the tank has to be dropped down to replace lines!!!

Appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your fuel pump, but I suspect you have a plugged supply line from the tank to the pump. I assume you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Dang! Never thought of that! Duh!

I can pressurize the supply line back into the fuel tank and see if that is the problem. If I hear a ka-whump inside the main tank.....

I know I need to replace the return side (it's OEM, 1998, and shows some crunched areas).

Thank you for the advise. The problem actually started immediately after a fill-up from less than half a tank indicated (probably about 50-gal on board, 130 gal tank). I assumed that the gen had sucked up some bubbles from the fueling process but it very well could have sucked up some basic-sludge-and-waste kicked up off the bottom of the tank. I did get it running a few times for a couple of hours here and there, but it just didn't "sound right". We were on a trip across Texas and it was HOT so I tried everything I knew (replaced all filters, prayed, kicked trees, swung dead cats into grave yards at midnight) but nothing worked.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

More than likely it is an air leak in the supply line, i.e. a deteriorated fuel hose. The pump is sucking air as well as fuel when running, and fuel drains back into the tank when it is shut down.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
More than likely it is an air leak in the supply line, i.e. a deteriorated fuel hose. The pump is sucking air as well as fuel when running, and fuel drains back into the tank when it is shut down.
Gary, until I read your well thought out advise here, I was ready to award the Grand PooBah Problem Solving Award to RJay. Now, I have to wait and see how my "repair" works through a few run/stop cycles.

So here's what I did: disconnected the supply line at the generator's fuel pump and blew it out with a low pressure air hose. I could hear the burps inside the fuel tank. Then I did the same with the return line. Next, I took a small vacuum pump and pulled diesel toward the generator to fill the lines (both). Re-connected the supply and return lines, turned off the output breaker on the gen set and held down the prime button for about 90-seconds. Hit start and she cranked over for about 10-seconds (just enough time to start heart palpitations for me) and then fired up. First time since this whole debacle began (6/1/2011) that she has "sounded right". Operated under moderate load (one AC unit and fridge) for 40-minutes and she purred along perfectly.

Gonna let it stay idle for a few hours and test out Gary's theory. Gary, no offense but I sure hope you are wrong. If I had not used the vacuum pump, I may have known the outcome already.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your fuel pump, but I suspect you have a plugged supply line from the tank to the pump. I assume you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel.
And the winner of this year's "Saved My Butt Award" goes to....drumroll...
RJay! Thanks to your input,I turned my mountain back into a mole hill and hope to live happily ever after, etc etc.

Have put 8-hours on the gen set over the past week and she has not sputtered after the fuel line blow out. I did make it a point not to start the generator for several minutes after adding fuel.

Tags
onan