Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm talking about the wall plugs. The one in the cabinet where my rear TV plugs in and I assume the rest too, are being difficult to remove. There are two screws, one top and one bottom and they are offsett on opposing sides. I loosened them and can wiggle the plug but I can't remove it. I'm kinda afraid to take the screws all the way out because these plugs don't seem like normal AC outlets. I'm worried that something will fall off on the inside and then I'll never get them out. Can anyone explain how these work. I tried googling but nada. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-467880766.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	48112  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The whole outlet box is held in the thin wall opening by 'toggles' that turn and hold on to the back of the opening. When you start unscrewing, the toggle should loosen and swing in behind box and cause the whole box to come out. Loosen until you feel it loose, then turn the other way until the toggle turns from behind wall opening and it should fall out. If you remove screws completely, the plastic 'toggles' might fall into wall cavity. If that happens, plain plastic boxes with toggles are available at home supply stores, I bought one for a dollar or two and just used the toggle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look at lower screw you will see a tab that holds the outlet behind the wall board, when you turn out screw the tab will move to cutout space thus releasing the outlet from cut out hole.
It will work in reverse when replacing back in hole.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

On the end of the screw is a 90 degree cantilever arm. Turning to tighten rotates the arm to engage the inside of the panel to which the outlet is secured. Further screw tightening locks down the arm to the inside face of the panel.
I've found that I can usually push real hard on the screw first, and then rotate it CCW 1/4 turn to rotate the arm free of the wood. You may have one of them disengaged, or they may be close to disengaged. You'll just have to fiddle w/it gingerly as to rotation of the screw but w/a heavy hand as to pushing in on the screw.

During construction they may have used a zip-saw to cut the hole for the receptacle. Zip-saws leave a raggedy edge in cheap paneling, so the little arm may be hanging up on some wood fiber on the inside edge of panel.

Worst case- you drop the little arm inside the wall, and have to get a new outlet at Allied Trailer Supply, El Camino Ave, Sacramento (916-922-3487) next time you head to town to do big shopping. I'm in Auburn, & they are my go-to parts place for stuff like that. I believe you could email them a photo of the item, maybe w/a tape measure in the photo for better scale, and they could ship the gizmo to your house alliedtrailersupply@yahoo.com
Old 10-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I sort of suspected this was the scenario but after loosening and left turning, they still would not come out. I guess I just wasn't trying hard enough at first. I finally did get them out. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Wish I'd asked first. Lost the toggles on one about a month ago because I didn't realize how it was installed. Bought a cheap replacement at Ace and just used the toggles.
Al
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You may have to back the screw off several turns to get the toggle loose enough to swing. If the original installer really torqued them down, the arms bends a bit and wedges tight into the wall board or surrounding material. And sometimes there is something in the way as well, e.g. the toggle slips in behind a piece of bracing or whatever. Sometimes you have to get creative! Or just break the toggle off and replace it. A thin hack saw blade can usually be inserted along side the box to cut through the toggle, should that become necessary.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical