Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #15
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">posted by NeilV:
I am in shock and denial. Living in the past when I see a $2288 price tag and several days spent on a repair it seems like something major. The $50 fender bender costs over $2000 to fix now? I must be getting too old timey like my dad.

Did the extra damage done while removing the Diamond Shield drive the cost up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil, much of today's high cost of body shop work is due to GOVERNMENT mandated regulations.
Todays body shops must have an enviornmental and fire regulation approval on all of its equipment and tools and products they use. New "GOVERNMENT APPROVED" paint booths start at $250,000 for a small one not large enough for anything but cars and small trucks. All paint guns and painting equipment have to be cleaned in special sealed "cleaning machines" with "NON TOXIC", "NON FLAMABLE", "EXPLOSION PROOF" "RECYCLABLE" solvents and on, and on, and more government control and more cost,... all passed on to the end users...That's you and me! It is even illegal to spray primer for small jobs in an open shop area inside a building - you have to have special "PREP" rooms to prevent any volitile materials from entering the atmosphere. Now all sanders have to be attached to a vacumn system to prevent dust from entering the work area and breathed by employees. Every one in the "PREP" area have to be issued disposable face mask, etc, etc, etc.

I am sure you get the jist of this post by now.....This is not YOUR DAD's Oldsmobile body shop anymore!

Best to you - Glenn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went through all that maintaining a architectural millworks up in New England. Mega Bucks for the spray booths with the water recirculating filters and then the disposal fees for the water afterwards was unreal. Almost went that route but found out in time that disposable paper roll filter was also considered acceptable. This could easily be retrofitted into the existing booths using standard hardware items. The paper filter material could be disposed of in the dumpster and was not considered hazardous waste. Just spooled it like film from one roll to another and a few turns of the crank was all it took to renew the filter. Once done you just tossed what was on the takeup roll and put in a new one.

Sometimes the extra cost is what the shop makes it to be by not doing their homework.

Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Neil, no matter how you set up your shop, you MUST be able to meet and pass all EPA and FIRE requirements in order to keep your doors open, and I can personaly assure you the cost of operating a LEGITIMATE paint and body repair facility today is many, many times greater than even fifteen years ago. I am not aware of any automotive shops that use waterfall paint booths anymore. It's sort of like that 30 cent loaf of bread - can't find em anymore!

I am pretty sure you know what todays prices are in comparison to years gone by..

Best to you - Glenn.

2004 Safari 31SBD TREK W-20
McKinney, Texas
Mutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers

Some things just don't come very easy! But, it looks great.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote