Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You really need someone to watch your rig when you get gas. It seems that some folks depth perception is not as good as they think... Mine got backed into. Peeled the Diamond Shield back a scrapped the paint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

You really need someone to watch your rig when you get gas. It seems that some folks depth perception is not as good as they think... Mine got backed into. Peeled the Diamond Shield back a scrapped the paint.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Darn looks like it was a truck.
Were they nice enough to leave their infomation.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #4

That sucks. looks like a nice rig too! Hope you can get it fixed up for cheap.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #5

Update - The repairs are complete. What looked like a simple job turned to be a real production.

1) Diamond Shield had a installer come to my place and remove the old Diamond Shield. They completely removed the whole bottom half of the front cap. Even with a steaming and ton of experience they still lifted some paint. It took the better part of 2 hours to remove the mask.

2) The body shop did a great job considering the weather. It rained the day I took it in. But, they were able to do all the body and paint work in 3 days. They use "quick set" paint and clear coat. This allows the installation of the mask in just a few days.

3) The Diamond Shield guy return and reinstalled the mask. It took the better part of 4 hours. It is put on just like window film. This is not a DIY job!

The final product looks just like it came from the factory. But, it cost the insurance company $2288.

REPAIRED
Old 10-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Update - The repairs are complete. What looked like a simple job turned to be a real production.

1) Diamond Shield had a installer come to my place and remove the old Diamond Shield. They completely removed the whole bottom half of the front cap. Even with a steaming and ton of experience they still lifted some paint. It took the better part of 2 hours to remove the mask.

2) The body shop did a great job considering the weather. It rained the day I took it in. But, they were able to do all the body and paint work in 3 days. They use "quick set" paint and clear coat. This allows the installation of the mask in just a few days.

3) The Diamond Shield guy return and reinstalled the mask. It took the better part of 4 hours. It is put on just like window film. This is not a DIY job!

The final product looks just like it came from the factory. But, it cost the insurance company $2288.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x160/oemtech/Mountai...leville_01.jpg[/IMG] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks good but have to wonder what would a new lower cap have cost in comparison to all the labor to repair the old one. Would have eliminated the removal of the old Diamond Shield and at least 2 days of labor at the paint shop.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:16 AM   #7

Say what... cut off everything from the headlights down and replace it are you kidding! They still would have to had to refinish the lower half, replace the Diamond Shield in addition to the R&R of that portion of the cap. It would have been 3x of the cost at minimum and taken weeks to repair. We live in the RV and the cost for hotel and meals would been added in raising the cost even more.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
The repair looks real good Dale, I know your happy

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:Looks good but have to wonder what would a new lower cap have cost in comparison to all the labor to repair the old one. Would have eliminated the removal of the old Diamond Shield and at least 2 days of labor at the paint shop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil, National RV gas units have a "Bumper" section similiar to what you mentioned. The bumper starts just above the head lamps. We have unfortunatly had two of these bumper sections replaced. The prices were $1,500 and $1,700 in two different years. I believe the prices would have been much higher if the reparis could not have accomplished at the factory.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:Looks good but have to wonder what would a new lower cap have cost in comparison to all the labor to repair the old one. Would have eliminated the removal of the old Diamond Shield and at least 2 days of labor at the paint shop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil, National RV gas units have a "Bumper" section similiar to what you mentioned. The bumper starts just above the head lamps. We have unfortunatly had two of these bumper sections replaced. The prices were $1,500 and $1,700 in two different years. I believe the prices would have been much higher if the reparis could not have accomplished at the factory.

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My comment was based on the notation "They completely removed the whole bottom half of the front cap" as part of the process. That being the case they could have ordered the new lower cap then prepped, painted and installed the Diamond Shield before the coach came into the shop and would have only tied up the coach the half a day it took to just do the Diamond Shield. From what you mentioned it could have been close to the same money and it would have been all new and not just patched.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #11

I should said, They remove the Diamond Shield from the lower half of the front cap.

They was no fiber glass damage... just the Diamond Shield and scuffed paint.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
I should said, They remove the Diamond Shield from the lower half of the front cap.

They was no fiber glass damage... just the Diamond Shield and scuffed paint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale,

I am in shock and denial. Living in the past when I see a $2288 price tag and several days spent on a repair it seems like something major. The $50 fender bender costs over $2000 to fix now? I must be getting too old timey like my dad.

Did the extra damage done while removing the Diamond Shield drive the cost up?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #13

Basically, yes as that had to sand, prime sanded areas, paint ($$$) and clear coat. Labor is biggy. But, the paint is also expensive. I paid $35 a pint for some to paint match some vent covers.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">posted by NeilV:
Dale,
I am in shock and denial. Living in the past when I see a $2288 price tag and several days spent on a repair it seems like something major. The $50 fender bender costs over $2000 to fix now? I must be getting too old timey like my dad.

Did the extra damage done while removing the Diamond Shield drive the cost up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil, much of today's high cost of body shop work is due to GOVERNMENT mandated regulations.
Todays body shops must have an enviornmental and fire regulation approval on all of its equipment and tools and products they use. New "GOVERNMENT APPROVED" paint booths start at $250,000 for a small one not large enough for anything but cars and small trucks. All paint guns and painting equipment have to be cleaned in special sealed "cleaning machines" with "NON TOXIC", "NON FLAMABLE", "EXPLOSION PROOF" "RECYCLABLE" solvents and on, and on, and more government control and more cost,... all passed on to the end users...That's you and me! It is even illegal to spray primer for small jobs in an open shop area inside a building - you have to have special "PREP" rooms to prevent any volitile materials from entering the atmosphere. Now all sanders have to be attached to a vacumn system to prevent dust from entering the work area and breathed by employees. Every one in the "PREP" area have to be issued disposable face mask, etc, etc, etc.

I am sure you get the jist of this post by now.....This is not YOUR DAD's Oldsmobile body shop anymore!

Best to you - Glenn.