Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never asked the wife to do the outside chores. I just view them a my job as part of the team! Now if I did ask her to handle the dump chores I'm sure her answer would be: "When you learn to do dishes and vacuum then I'll learn the dumping chores!" She's right and I guess I'll keep things the way thay are until she tells me to do it a different way!

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Our last outting a couple of weeks ago, I got everything set up and got to the task of hooking up our sewer, water and power.
The week before we left, I had gotten a new blackwater gate cable put on the RV. I now unscrewed the cap on my sewer to hook up the sewer hose and to my shear horror, filled my water station compartment full of the most foul smelling conglomeration I had ever come across. You guess it...100% raw, unrefined sewage. Yes that's right. That nasty word nobody wants to say let alone have to deal with...sh-t!. It's obvious that the newly installed cable didn't close the gate valve. This is a BIG problem. Even more so when I noted that my rubber gloves, my savior from what would have made the handling of the situation a bit more bearable were layIng in the bottom of the compartment. Both DW and my daughter yelled out "What is that awful smell?" They thought our dog had dropped a bomb but couldn't find any evidence. I yelled out "Don't worry about it, I've got it under control!" Ya right, I think to myself. I felt like every camper in the resort now had their eyes on me as the smelly conglomeration glooped onto the ground. I quickly hooked up my water hose and washed down the compartment, hoses, controls and accumulated pile on the ground. In a few minutes, it was gonna be nothing more than just another memory ingrained in the annuls of my holiday experiences.

Shortly after, DW asked me if I wanted a drink. I said "yes". She said "are you ready to have dinner"? I said "Give me a few minutes"!!!!

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

The Sum of All Fears!
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
National RV Owners Club
Oh my gosh is that funny! I don't mean to laugh at anyone's misfortune, but the story was written so humorously. We're new the RV'ing gig, and fortunately we haven't experienced the same mishap. Closest we came was dumping a couple of weeks ago after a 4 day camping trip. The dump station didn't have a threaded hook up and I didn't figure we would need the rubber donut, I'd just have my wife hold the dump hose in place with her foot when I pulled the valve. No splashes got on her, but the smell! Whewwww!! Smelly enough to gag a maggot. She'd never seen me dump before and I thought it good for her to learn how. The look on her face was priceless! She said next time she wants to pull the valve, and I hold the hose in place. I think I'll use the donut next time, to help contain some of the odor.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #33
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
When we moved back to a travel trailer after a few years of tent camping, my wife (anxious to get her own toilet while camping) offered to always handle the dumping chores. 14 years, two TT's and two MH's later, I still hold her to that deal

i think she has more than paid her dues and in all fairness this should be your job. she needs more help in doing and less in observing her do this, gone are those days when you tell her to come and throw another log on the fire and tell me how much you love me,
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
After 48 years together I am still in training mode (she got me when I was very young). Blue items are mine (all outside jobs). Pink jobs are hers (all inside jobs),,,except vacuuming..some how that got put on blue list!!
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
Dang!! My wife will not even come out of the coach when I dump the tanks.

same here....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Ahhh.... funny stuff for sure, love these threads.
For the record, I have had one stiunky slinky related Robin Williams moment, a few years ago...

No fear now. I just pull the handles, hit the switch for the sani-con, and go have a beer.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
I have to admit, we did make the agreement that I, the wife, would do the dumping - as a compromise for purchasing an RV. I don't mind. I am teaching the boys to help me. BUT>>> I can go camping without him, he can't go without me. His expertise is limited to long distance driving. Self-sufficiency is something to be proud of.

Hear, hear.

DW could be one armed & jealous husband away from being solo; I want her to know it all.

The path is always smooth: in the first minutes of this weekend's excursion, she misjudged positioning our rig for its dolly safety check after expertly pulling out of the driveway, couldn't get around the corner without driving through our neighbors' front lawn. I happily assisted disconnecting the toad with a peanut gallery of good natured teasing neighbs (nearly everyone is an RV'er). No harm, no foul: she got hers out of the way far from impatient urban drivers, or some other similarly crowded and alien setting. To DW's credit, she bounced back behind the wheel, and took us along the narrow and twisting route out to the highway like a pro.

That latter act is what really impressed me. She's a keeper!!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #38
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A little over 51 years ago when asked to do some household task I told my wife that I was just too smart to learn how to do that. I started something that day I will never live down and she will never forget! I will always be doing the dumping and anything else she is just too smart to learn!
"Got a dog for my kid, the best trade I ever made"
Bob, Rita and the better half of my trade, Pudgy
2011 Serrano, 2012 Jeep Patriot on tow dolly
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now this is a good thread!!! DH would be only mildly surprised to hear that most of the men do the outside work. We have always been untraditional in the chore divisions - I can't hold a candle to his vaccuuming - I think it's his OCD. Of course, when you do it so so badly the first couple of times (haha) and he takes over, well, what do you expect?? I wouldn't trade him for the world, and until he finds that trophy wife that will do the dumping, he won't trade me!
Landcruisers for life
2 adults, 2 kids (tweens) and 2 dogs
2004 Fltwd Southwind 32V from 2000 Tioga 26F
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #40
pooP Happens.

I thought that Robbin Wiliams movie was Stinkier than any Caca that my home had ever emitted.
Dusty Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #41
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
My wife says the only reason she keeps me around is to handle the sewer hose duties.

Ditto. My wife says my jobs are to drive and dump.
Lou & Mary Jo + Scooter & Sophie
2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB W-25.5
2005 Jeep Liberty Toad
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm laughing so hard I can't type...

My DW came rushing in and wanted to know what was so funny so I shared the thread, curious if she would volunteer to share in the dump duties. As she is reading I remembered that yesterday she had backed out of our garage right into our son's car parked in the driveway (it didn't stand a chance...it was in Park and never saw her coming )...and then I thought about the time...ah, just forget it. I realized that I didn't want her even trying! When she was done she smiled at me and said "I hope you learned something by reading those tales...you are always telling me how you prefer to learn by reading rather than doing. Don't be thinking you will be climbing back inside our "Bertha" smelling like a sewer should something like that happen to you....to which I replied "yes, dear".

'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote