Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I opt to winterize using RV antifreeze for two reasons. First, it's the method that is specified in my coach's owners manual. Secondly, we use the RV antifreeze method due to the pure size of our coach.

We're in a 44' DP with a bath and a half floor plan. That translates to 2 toilets (1 of which is an "electric flush" macerating commode), 4 sink faucets (1 in the kitchen, 1 in the half bath and 2 in the master bath), an ice maker and a Splendide combo washer/dryer. That's a lot of PEX and PVC to blow out - without any means of confirming that everything has been completely purged. I'm not versed enough about the construction of the macerator, the ice maker and/or the Splendide to say with certainty that there are no low points or internal reservoirs that might allow water to remain if we were to simply "blow out" the lines.

Using the RV antifreeze means that once I see the RV Antifreeze flowing from a faucet or applicance - I KNOW I have flushed the water and replaced it with RV antifreeze. Being that we're in Michigan where we're certain to have stretches of VERY cold weather - we feel it's the safest approach for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Okay I have recently blown out my lines in my RV, I don’t like the taste of the pink stuff ( is it harmful?). Am I risking a line rupture due to freezing? I make sure there is no water in the lines ( sinks, shower, ice maker, toilet, water heater). I do add the pink stuff in the traps.

What are your experiences?

I do both for cheap insurance, as for the taste there should not be any if it is properly flushed out.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It seemed to take forever to get ours flushed out. The people I bought it from used that pink stuff. I have been happy with just blowing it out. Takes a while with ice maker in the fridge and also washer/drier.
We drink the water from the fresh tank. It goes through a couple of filters, more things to drain!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 AM   #18

Neither.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I hate that pink stuff.
I always blow out all the lines with air. 40 psi and lots of volume.
If you really feel the need to use antifreeze, try some cheap vodka!
Happy Glamping.
Vodka, now that’s one I gotta try......
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #20

IMHO most people that have trouble flushing out the pink and have lingering taste problems are due to 2 practices that can /should be avoided.

1. Putting pink in the water heater and then not flushing by draining it separately. Just running water through tbe WH doesn't flush it it only dilutes the pink and takes way to long to get rid of the taste /smell

2. Adding pink to the FW tank.
Same idea... not really necessary but if you do... flush the tank itself by adding water and then draining the tank vs running it through the system.

Uf you do the above flushing and cleaning the piping is fairly fast & effective. Hook up to city water and run some through ALL faucets & fixtures. Sanitize w bleach and flush again and little pink affect remains.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #21

How do you winterize the washing machine and ice maker using only air?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
You can't. Follow their instructions from their manual and you'll be OK.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
I do mine by having 40 psi air pressure in the system and crack the lines at the solenoid valves. I also energize the solenoids one at a time to blow all the water out. I have a 5 hp. compressor, so lots of volume.
Never had a problem yet. It just takes some time, a little more than just using pink antifreeze.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #24

I do both.... Blow out at 40 psi AND use the Pink Stuff....need to get it into the traps AND through the Water Pump.... EAZY PEAZY!!!!!!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #25

So I've got to thinkin... (can be a bad thing sometimes)

How would using the compressed work if done in reverse? By in reverse, I mean putting pressure into the system from a high point, meaning from the kitchen faucet or the shower? Water runs down hill, so if pressure is added at the high point and then faucets are opened down the line and finally the lowest line opened.

Has anybody tried this. I know that the water heater and filter needs attention, and that can be done also, along with air injected at the fresh water port.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #26

Some of us are lucky enough to just follow the sun.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also do both. If I didn't have an Aqua Hot system, I would probably just use air.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Either method is fine if you do a proper job of it. Neither is worth a damn if you don't. If you miss a spot with either technique, you may have a problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote