Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
It all depends on what kind of mood she's in. Good mood she can ride in the front. Bad mood in the back and very bad mood in the toad😀

Sent from my Moto G (4) using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Love it!! ROFLMAO 🚍🤠
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The DW and I do all the driving together, both seated and buckled up. If I'm driving she is the navigator. If she is driving I am the navigator. During the slow times one or the other can surf the net on our smart phones.
We assist each other in finding the next stop or overnight stay. If one of us missed a lower speed limit sign, the other will point it out. If one of us needs to stop for what ever, we stop.
She is my copilot in that seat. (I was a pilot) She won't drive but has her class B license. I occasionally miss a turn, sign etc. She rarely does.
And Best Navigator anywhere.
I rarely drive 60' MH with toad without her.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #17

She always rides up front with me buckled up in the co-pilots seat. Even the dogs are secured in their crates . You never know when you might have to make an evasive maneuver or panic stop.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #18

There was another thread going on here in the forums where where a motorhomne driver was killed. That thread is closed now but it was stated early on that he wasn't wearing a seat belt when he lost control.

The odds of it happening are kinda low and that driver probably thought that it would never happen to him. As you can see, all it takes is one time. I'm not taking any chances so seat belt usage is required for anyone riding in any of our vehicles.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #19

Our Command Module and Navigator positions are always occupied, and buckled up.
The Journey is STILL Our Destination, so none of the panoramic front window views are ever missed.
I can see where some folks may not get a thrill while heading to the same campground all of the time.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Well if it is a law I guess I will be installing a seat belt one the potty.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #21

First, I know that there are seat belt laws. And, I know that, in many crashes, seat belts could save your life.

My wife rides pretty much where ever she wants/needs. She is, at least in part, the reason we have a MH. She has health issues and to be able to lay down when needed enables her to travel.

She has stayed in bed while traveling. The diesel engine doesn't seem to bother her much, unless there is a lot of stop & go.

She will spend sometime setting on one of the couches, maybe watching television. And she will spend, at least, part of the travel time in the passenger seat, with her feet up.

My wife will, most likely, never drive our MH. We have has a couple of short lessons, just in case there is an emergency and she needs to move it a short distance. She is very intimidated by the size, so probably best that I do all of the piloting.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Well if it is a law I guess I will be installing a seat belt one the potty.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
First, I know that there are seat belt laws. And, I know that, in many crashes, seat belts could save your life.

My wife rides pretty much where ever she wants/needs. She is, at least in part, the reason we have a MH. She has health issues and to be able to lay down when needed enables her to travel.

She has stayed in bed while traveling. The diesel engine doesn't seem to bother her much, unless there is a lot of stop & go.

She will spend sometime setting on one of the couches, maybe watching television. And she will spend, at least, part of the travel time in the passenger seat, with her feet up.

My wife will, most likely, never drive our MH. We have has a couple of short lessons, just in case there is an emergency and she needs to move it a short distance. She is very intimidated by the size, so probably best that I do all of the piloting.

Great points. Thanks for sharing!
reese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7645.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	185368

https://rvshare.com/blog/things-need...eat-belt-laws/
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
After 38 years... Happy Wife = Happy Life,,,and sometimes the solitude is nice!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #26

My Wife "always" rides up front with me.
We are both buckled in, we enjoy each other's company, enjoy watching the scenery, enjoy listening to the tunes and enjoy talking together.
Funny, but this is how we've done things for the past 50 years that we've been together.
She helps with the navigating and offers a much needed extra set of eyes when in a new area.
If she gets tired, she will put out the foot rest and dose off, but still up front and buckled in.
If I get tied we pull over and rest.
The only time she may ride at the dinette is if we have another couple travelling with us and the girls choose to sit back there, buckled up, no TV, while the boys ride up front.
When our Grandchildren are old enough to travel with us, the car seat and buckle up rules will also apply.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
What I can't figure out is, why the "heated" debates? I mean, there's two seats up front, one for the driver, one for the passenger (wife, girl friend, husband, boy friend, kid(s) etc.). Wow, never even thought about the wife riding anywhere but up front with me, neither has she.
Scott
X 2!! -- Wow! I had started to think DW and I were some sort of misfits in the MH community.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #28

I prefer being buckled up. You only have to roll one vehicle to get that point across. I was broadsided by a truck and trailer going 55 and rolled my ranger. I was just crossing the street from one gas station to the other. The truck ran the light. I got hit by all the crap I had in the cab. My metal clipboard about killed me and I got a screwdriver in my thigh. My 1999 era cellphone hit me in the face from the dash.

Plus all the crap that gets tossed around. It makes me ill to think of people driving around with things not secured especially couches and recliners. Knives in magnetic blocks on the wall?

We have seatbelts at the couch. It took a while to dig them out from under the couch and thread them back through. The ottoman is a blow up one and everything is put away or secured.

Will I never lie in the back and watch tv? I might some day but I would be real nervous. Lol

I have been tempted to take a shower while under way. The thought of them rescuing me in all my glory makes me think twice. Lol