Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #1

Optima Batteries for DP Chassis?

Last winter, my chassis batteries went completely dead at one point. Now, if the coach sits a couple of weeks, I have to use the battery boost button to get power from the house batteries to start the engine.

I always use the battery disconnect on the interior panel, but I think there might still be a parasitic draw. I bought a couple of quick disconnects to put on the house and chassis batteries to prevent this from happening again.

Most likely I will need to replace the 2 chassis batteries soon. Optimas have a reputation for withstanding longer periods of no use than than other batteries. Is it worthwhile to get a couple of them from Costco?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Wow you just opened a can of worms. In my opinion, yes by a wide margin. The blue tops in my camper have had their share of abuse with no issues in the past five years, the red tops in my diesel truck have been there for six with no trouble.

Optimas are worth every penny.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #3

I know it can be a heated debate. Perhaps next I'll ask if anyone every overnights at Wal Mart.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All lead acid batteries, If they go COMPLETLY dead, don't often recover well.. That said, a Deep Cycle is more likely to recover than a starting battery.. but it is still not a good idea to test that theory.

And it's worse in the winter when (if) the battery can freeze

I suspect the battery is history and the discharge is... internal

Now.. what to do about it (Beyond, the obvious replace the battery)

Xantrex makes a product called an Echo Charger

Or a rivel product (Bit cheaper) is the Trick-L-Start

Put either Xantrex Echo Charge -or- Trick l Start RV

Into Google's fine search engine and you can read up on 'em

Both are simple 3 wire hookup.. Chassis hot, House hot, Ground.

What do they do? They allow the house converter/charger to charge teh CHASSIS battery on a rig not so equiped from the factory.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

The problem is I store the MH at a storage lot with no electric hookup. If/when I move and can keep it at my house, I'll be able to keep all the batteries charged.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you want an AGM battery for the chassis, I think you can get more battery for the dollar with Lifeline or Trojan than with Optima. But you are going to pay a big premium for an AGM and you could get two sets of flooded cell batteries for the price of the AGM, so the cost per year works out to be similar.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #7

Yeah, the Sears Platinum AGM has 930 CCA vs. the Optima 750. I think that will be the way I go.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RoadRunner View Post
Yeah, the Sears Platinum AGM has 930 CCA vs. the Optima 750. I think that will be the way I go.
i have had the sears platinum agm starting battery for about 3 years and 2 6v lifeline gpl-6ct batteries from bd batteries online for 2 years. both are performing well.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote