Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hamguy; I have the 2001 Allegro 31IA on Workhorse chassis, 8.1L with GM transmission. Full-syn oil in engine and differential. This coach has no slides but has been fitted-out with the Splendide washer-dryer. I also have installed eight additional house batteries for my onboard medical oxygen system. It has virtually no oem engine intake piping. The air filter is high and dry just below the DC relay panel, which was raised several inches to allow placement of a 4 inch air duct straight to the throttle. This entire bulkhead in which the radiator sits has been meticulously sealed so that no air can recirculate forward from the engine compartment. The dual exhausts have been heat-wrapped from the donuts to the converters. Approximately six feet of tailpipe has been removed from both sides, while still exiting beyond the perimeter of the compartment doors. A roof air unit was added in the bedroom. The original tv,s are gone, replaced with widescreen LCD,s. It carries a full 19.5" spare tire, but the continental kit was removed. It is still a project in progress. I am constantly searching for weight reduction as I consider weight to be fuel economy's worst enemy. Additionally I carry full air pressure in the tires; 95#. Thanks for asking!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
TandW,

Interesting but what is your average mileage over, say, 5000 miles?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never more than about 300 a day.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was referring to MPG, not miles driven. Anecdotal one-point measurements are not very valid.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gotta tell ya, hamguy, when I drive the posted limit, I still get shoved around by those who never seem to attain enough speed. And I only get 8.5 mpg . So you can believe it whichever way you chose. Good luck to you!!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not disputing you, I just don't understand how you seem to get 2-3 MPG better mileage than others. And I still don't see the answer to my question.

I drive my 8.1 Itasca 22,000lb pulling a Nissan Maxima and average 7.3 MPG for the last 46,000 miles. I typically drive 58-62MPH and never get shoved around by traffic. Maybe it is whare I drive? That includes flatlands, mountains, high altitude and sea level.

But, as they say, YMMV.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
I drive my 8.1 Itasca 22,000lb pulling a Nissan Maxima and average 7.3 MPG for the last 46,000 miles. That includes flatlands, mountains, high altitude and sea level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This sounds more like "real life." We mirror your results and conditions over the last 44,000 miles since Jan. '05.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guys, reread my posts. I don't have slide-outs, or pull a toad. I have an 18,000# rig. And I don't carry anything unnecessary. I drive very conservatively, as I explained before. My regular route takes me from South Carolina to Central Pa. via I81,I77, and I26. By the way, I think I am the only one who overnites at Sam's, next to the runway at Roanoke, Va. Good luck!!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, now it makes more sense. I run heavier and tow. The toad cuts me about 1MPG.

Thanks,

Dean

Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #24

From all I have read on this forum it seems that most folks get right around 7.5 mpg pulling a toad with either workhorse or f53. That said there are those who travel light and drive carefull who get better numbers. There are also those with a heavy foot who get worse numbers. I can honestly say that I average 7.5 mpg year after year with the f53 ford while trying to keep my speed at 62 mph.
becks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by becks:
From all I have read on this forum it seems that most folks get right around 7.5 mpg pulling a toad with either workhorse or f53. That said there are those who travel light and drive carefull who get better numbers. There are also those with a heavy foot who get worse numbers. I can honestly say that I average 7.5 mpg year after year with the f53 ford while trying to keep my speed at 62 mph. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference is between those that drive to maintain a set speed and those that drive to maintain a MPG and will let their speed vary a bit more then the rest.

My coach is usually loaded heavy with construction tools, 100 gals water, supplies for four adults, 100 lb dog, 13 lb cat, etc and over a cross country trip I usually average 9.5 to 9.9 MPG such as on the 4,000 mile round trip from Florida to Ottawa and back taking 95 through DC across to the Western NY route through the Thousand Islands region into Canada and back again.

Some people run their tires soft to get a more supple ride while I have the next load range up on my coach, inflate a touch higher for more even wear and better mileage and just slow down when the road gets rough. Don't accelerate going up hill unless you really have to otherwise wait for the next section of level or downhill roadway and learn how to tell the difference between wanting to and really having to resisting the urge to give into the wants. Don't let people push you, most likely unless they are your passengers or traveling companions you will never see them again in your life but the money you spend on wasted fuel will be lost forever.

For example going through the mountains in New York and Pensilvania if I try to maintain a set speed some of the climbs will be at less than 2 MPG however if I pull into the climbing lane and gradually let off on the speed I can usually hold the climb at over 5 MPG and still crest the top most times at over 45 MPH. This can have a big effect on your avearage MPG for the trip.

I do have a ScanGuage on my dash sitting below the speedometer and it always has MPG, Throttle Position and Engine Output (Power) on display.

Especially with fuel prices the way that they are the game is MPG not MPH.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I envy you guys who even get 7.5 mpg. I'm loaded, and pulling a 3500# Colorado Pickup, but I'm not all that heavily loaded. I only carry about 1/4 to 1/3 full of fresh water. I also have the latest Brazel's UltraPower, including the CAI, drive no faster then 62 mph which seems to be the sweetspot for my rig, and yet I still only seem to get 6.5 to maybe 6.8 mpg. Once in awhile I will see 7.0 mpg and thats figured by gal/s to distance when I fill up, not using the built in mileage computer. Oh, and when calculated it's over three or four fillup's not just one.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drive like you would if you didn't have breaks. Slow and easy. Like se
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
I do have a ScanGuage on my dash sitting below the speedometer and it always has MPG, Throttle Position and Engine Output (Power) on display.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil,
How do you try and use the LOD and TPS numbers. Where do you usually try to keep the numbers?Mike

ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote