Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
I do have a ScanGuage on my dash sitting below the speedometer and it always has MPG, Throttle Position and Engine Output (Power) on display.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neil,
How do you try and use the LOD and TPS numbers. Where do you usually try to keep the numbers?Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

No magic numbers just a gut feeling when I scan the gauges for an overall balance. Gives me a feeling for the effect of even minor changes in pressure on the gas pedal to power output and fuel usage. Sometimes it seems like just backing off the foot pressure on the pedal without any perceptible movement can have a great effect. I do try to keep the load pecentage as low as possible without loosing too much speed. The load also helps me anticipate downshifts which will occur around 98%. It has become so automatic and second nature that it is difficult to put into hard values without sitting behind the wheel and observing the display.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #30

Sometimes I think figures become somewhat exagerated.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Neil, I understand what you are saying about watching those particular guages. My darn problem is, however, that I like to keep the ole speed consistant!!! And of course, you can't do both. That's why I never understand those who say to use cruise control in order to get best MPG.
I just need to think more MPG and less MPH!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
Neil, I understand what you are saying about watching those particular guages. My darn problem is, however, that I like to keep the ole speed consistant!!! And of course, you can't do both. That's why I never understand those who say to use cruise control in order to get best MPG.
I just need to think more MPG and less MPH!!
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I have the same problem but a buck is a buck and with fuel prices the way they are I can't afford to give into my preference for a set speed. When I try to maintain an exact speed it is 6.5 to 7.5 MPG.

The last time I let a schedule get the best of me it was the last leg of a trip back into Florida and I hit 70+ MPH and the result was I blew 41.66 gallons of gas out the tailpipe to cover 190 miles at 4.56 MPG. That is too close to a buck a mile. I gained all done and told 15 maybe 30 minutes at a additional cost of around $60.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #33

I find this discussion interesting and informative and, as a result have made an inquiry about the ScanGauge for my unit (2006 Journey 32T with 5.0 Cummins 300). Over 19000 miles I have averaged 9.3 mpg but I was hoping for 10+. Does the ScanGauge info give better info than using the original equipment instantanous mileage readout?

I realize that we all may have different equipment and driving patterns, but I have found that the "mode" setting on my Allison five speed tranny gives a slightly altered shift pattern slanted toward economy and is especially useful in moderate hills running on cruise control to keep in top gear uphill. If this is not enough, I come out of cruise and find I'm smarter than the computer! In traffic or steeper climbs I turn the "mode" setting off for more power. Anyone else have experiences with the "mode" setting?

JT Kirby
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 AM   #34

When my mode button is lit (ISC 8.3L 350HP, Allison 6spd 3000MH), I've noticed that the transmission shifts sooner (right about the beginning of the max torque range-1400rpm) and holds longer (until the bottom of the max torque range-1450rpm) before downshifting, especially noticeable going up hills.

But I have not been able to equate that directly to improved mileage. I 'sense' that if I ran in economy all day, instead of 7.85mpg I might end up getting 7.95mpg. But I find discerning that to be difficult.

Biggest improvement in mpg was just keeping it in the highest gear in the middle of the max torque range. That yielded almost 2mpg improvement.

2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
JT, welcome to iRV2.

I have never tried the Mode button, as over the years, no one has reported any significant increase in MPG.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Where the mode button does the most for your mileage is when driving in mountainous regions (out west). When in the economy mode your transmission does not down-shift until the following conditions are met; wide open throttle at max torque RPM regardless of whether in cruise or not. I have noted that when climbing the same grade, with the instantaneous MPG readout selected, with cruise control set at identical settings, the fuel consumption in the normal mode is considerably more than when in the economy mode. Overall cruising speed is a little less, couple of MPH, in the economy mode, so it takes a little longer to climb the grade. If the grade is a long & steep (6%+) one once the transmission down-shifts to 5th gear I manually select 5th as top gear to prevent the transmission from hunting between 5th & 6th, sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery. Out here in the Northwest I am willing to take a little longer get where I am going to save some $$ on fuel, especially at todays fuel prices.

See little difference in fuel consumption when cruising in economy mode on the flats, just takes a few more MPH to get into sixth gear. I accelerate up to speed in normal then shift to economy. I have not operated this MH in the rolling hills of the east yet but wouldn't expect to see any noticeable difference in fuel economy between the different modes.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #37

Thanks, guys, for your comments and for not pointing out my typo - I don't think Cummins makes a 5.0 liter engine

Mine is the 5.9.

JT Kirby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
Where the mode button does the most for your mileage is when driving in mountainous regions (out west). When in the economy mode your transmission does not down-shift until the following conditions are met; wide open throttle at max torque RPM regardless of whether in cruise or not. I have noted that when climbing the same grade, with the instantaneous MPG readout selected, with cruise control set at identical settings, the fuel consumption in the normal mode is considerably more than when in the economy mode. Overall cruising speed is a little less, couple of MPH, in the economy mode, so it takes a little longer to climb the grade. If the grade is a long & steep (6%+) one once the transmission down-shifts to 5th gear I manually select 5th as top gear to prevent the transmission from hunting between 5th & 6th, sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery. Out here in the Northwest I am willing to take a little longer get where I am going to save some $$ on fuel, especially at todays fuel prices.

See little difference in fuel consumption when cruising in economy mode on the flats, just takes a few more MPH to get into sixth gear. I accelerate up to speed in normal then shift to economy. I have not operated this MH in the rolling hills of the east yet but wouldn't expect to see any noticeable difference in fuel economy between the different modes.

Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would like to see the results here, over the next several of months, from those of us that attempt some of the things discussed here to see how it affects your mileage. Just add your findings to the topic rather than starting a new one if possible.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #39

I noted in an earlier posting that the discussion of the ScanGauge made me interested and that I had inquired as to whether it was compatible with my rig (2006 Winny Journey, Freightliner chassis, 5.9 liter Cummins). ScanGauge people said, "sure, works great" but, I pursued the question of the square connector in the picture and my round plug on the Cummins. Now they are not so sure about compatibility.

Anyone here using this device with a 2006 Journey or another class A diesel pusher with a round plug?

JT Kirby
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found everyones input informative. I will be using all of it on my next trip from Central Calif to Oregon. The price of gas on the west coast is a killer. I have the 8.1 ltr GM Vortec engine with 6 speed Allison Trans with Mountain (grade) brake.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #41

There is another wrinkle as more and more stations are pushing towards the high end of the up to 10% ethanol mix. You could experience a 10% to 20% drop in mileage from the more prevelant use of ethanol. I expect a drop to about 8 mpg from this.

Last year 100 gallons of gas would cost about $325 for regular without ethanol now its $400 for regular grade with ethanol plus and extra 20 gallons to go the same distance at an addtional $80 so with ethanol thrown into the mix we will now be paying $480 to go the same distance $325 brought us last year.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Excellent point Neil V and I one I was about to make. I have noticed the same loss in MPG (KLP Kilometres Per Litre in Canada) for my Tahoe as well. Ethanol doesn't burn as efficiently as diesel or gas. Someone made a huge mistake with that one. Hopefully your different levels of government and the ones here in Canada can institute a change.