Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Out of state purchase

After being away from this forum since September 2017, we have decided to get back into an RV. I have no desire to work with a dealer. I have seen many used units on line and realized I have no idea what steps are necessary to buy an out of state unit. I would be bringing the RV to Texas. Any suggestions, references, or advice would be appreciated.
BLAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have purchased 3 motorhomes private party from out of state. The most recent one two weeks ago and since the seller had a lien and had to wait for a paper copy of the title but his wife signed in the buyer's box our DMV requires a signed and notarized bill of sale from each owner, a release of interest, and statement of error before we can title.
It's the paperwork with the i's dotted and t's crossed that's usually a real PITA. lol!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAdventurer View Post
After being away from this forum since September 2017, we have decided to get back into an RV. I have no desire to work with a dealer. I have seen many used units on line and realized I have no idea what steps are necessary to buy an out of state unit. I would be bringing the RV to Texas. Any suggestions, references, or advice would be appreciated.
BLA,
In my opinion, the smartest way to look at this is, go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (Or, whatever Texas calls it) and ask the to layout, EXACTLY what is needed for you to register, an out of state purchased vehicle. And, be SPECIFIC as to it being a motorhome. The reason, there are in many cases, different rules and guidelines for heavier vehicles/motorhomes etc. than there are for lighter ones like cars. They will tell you EXACTLY what you'll need from the seller and what you'll need to register it in your area.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, varies by state. Here in WA the paperwork from a dealer has to be sent by them directly to the DMV, the purchaser can't handle it at all. Haven't done an RV purchase from a private party though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

I might add that,

Here in Arizona, at least in Mohave County, when you purchase a used vehicle/jeep/motorhome/spaceship/submarine etc. from a private party, you pay ZERO SALES TAX. But, if you purchase a used vehicle/truck/spaceship/motorhome/submarine from a DEALER, you DO have to pay sales tax. That can be enormes, depending on sales price. So, I don't know if any other state has the same set of sales conditions.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAdventurer View Post
You will need the out of state title, paperwork and the bill of sale. You will have to pay Texas state "use" tax of 6.25% plus registration fees. They can use blue book values to set the sales price regardless of what you paid for it since a lot of people used to dummy up bills of sale with a lot less than what was actually paid. If you wind up buying from an out of state dealer, be sure to specify that you will be registering in in Texas so you don't have to pay sales tax in the selling state. You may also have to arrange to have a peace officer or certified inspector inspect the VIN and certify that it is not stolen. There is a form they have to fill out. Below is a link to the Texas DMV out of state information, including a presumptive vehicle value calculator by VIN.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...reign-vehicles
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

Don't forget the license tags needed to drive it home from Texas. Not a problem if buying from a dealer as they could probably give you a temp tag but might be from a private seller. Would they be willing to let you use their tags to get it home?

I know this has been discussed before with some saying just drive it without a tag - not sure I would do that.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We recently sold a motor home in Florida to a gentleman from Texas. He had to get a temp. plate from the local DMV in Florida (no taxes) that gave him a certain number of days before it expired so he could drive it home to Texas and pay what ever taxes were due and register it in Texas.

Also make sure you have insurance coverage before you drive off
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

The first thing to realize is that people do this all the time so it can be done.

When we bought our coach in 2016, we were Colorado residents and got it from a private party who lived in Louisiana, it was titled in South Dakota and they had a loan on it from a bank in Louisiana. We had our bank deal with their bank and they dealt with the money transfer and removing the lien on the title. The bank held the funds in escrow until the title lien was removed and the money was not released to the seller until our bank received the title.

Once that was done, I took the bill of sale and proof of insurance to the county in SW Colorado where we lived and they gave me a 30 day temporary plate to drive it 1300 miles from Louisiana to Colorado. Once home, the county did a vin check and we got our regular Colorado plates and received a clear Colorado title. There were a lot of details but it all worked out pretty easily. The best thing I did was to get our bank involved with their bank even though we paid cash for the coach.

Tags
purchase