Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Out of state tax

How do taxes work if you buy out of state? Will the dealer charge you sales tax for the state you live in or none and you pay when you register? I live in GA and thinking about buying in TN.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

You need to go to GA DMV and ask them.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

Normally sales tax is based on the state & county that the license plate will be issued to.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Like many issues controlled by the states, it varies from state to state.
Some states have a law that if you take delivery within their state, you pay their sales tax, regardless of where your home is.
Most states will give you credit for sales tax paid to a different state (up to their tax %), when you go to register/transfer that same vehicle in the new state (save the receipt).
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Like many issues controlled by the states, it varies from state to state.
Some states have a law that if you take delivery within their state, you pay their sales tax, regardless of where your home is.
Most states will give you credit for sales tax paid to a different state (up to their tax %), when you go to register/transfer that same vehicle in the new state (save the receipt).
My general experience also, if you buy from a dealer it depends on the state laws. Most states have some provisions to allow the RV to not pay tax in the selling state, but of course some states are greedy and want it. It may just require an extra piece of paper for the dealer acknowledging the buyer is out of state for them to not collect sales tax, or could be they have an employee drive it across state line for actual delivery for you to take driving over. Check with dealer, they will know the rules for their state.

If private party, you just drive home and then pay tax and reg at your home state DMV.

For any out of state purchase your home state will require a VIN inspection, so make sure the paperwork and VIN all match. You should also have a bill of sale at minimum to show your home DMV.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf4865 View Post
How do taxes work if you buy out of state? Will the dealer charge you sales tax for the state you live in or none and you pay when you register? I live in GA and thinking about buying in TN.
If the dealer doesn't collect and sent to Georgia the DMV will collect and don't forget about the new Georgia law on tags. I believe it's around 6.5% and you only pay the tag fee every year. So depending on what you are buying the out of pocket could be alot$$$$$$$.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've done this a couple of times now, although neither GA or TN were part of the equation. In both cases the dealer withheld the tax money required to register in our state and then gave us a dealer check, made out to the DMV, for us to present when we went to register the RV.

It's my opinion that the dealer should be doing the research on this for you, and given that these states are immediate neighbors, I'm guessing it's something they've done before, otherwise, a quick call to both states DMV should be able to answer your questions.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

You will have to pay the tax for the state your going to get the tags in. That is why so many are registered in those few states that have really low rates, i.e. SD, and MT. as I understand.

That then opens another thread, on whether a state where you might live and park are going to chase you down for taxes they think you are trying not to pay. Some have suggested the towed better have the same state tag as the RV.

The same thing for yachts that summer in the owner's home state, but winter somewhere else. Have an uncle from TX, big boat in WA, and WA finally got him, 5 years after they reported his boat always in the state in the winters. His summers were always in AK. His boat hail port was TX.

Someone is going to get the tax dollars!
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #9

I've bought three times at out of state dealers (I'm a PA resident, bought first 2 TTs in MD and just moved to a MH bought in Jersey). Because the dealers I bought from are very close to PA, all were equipped to collect the PA sales tax and deal with PennDOT on my behalf. I drove home with a temp tag and PA plates arrived via mail later.

I was given the option in NJ of not paying tax and registration fees there - I could have come home with temp tags and gone to the Dept of Motor Vehicles myself, paid the tax and registration then, and gotten plates that way. I found it easier to just let my dealer take care of it - no difference in cost (paying PA registration and PA sales tax no matter what).

I imagine some smaller dealers farther from a state line may not collect sales tax for other states, in that case you take your bill of sale, showing no sales tax collected, to your Dept of Transportation and they will collect the sales tax when you register it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Live in NY. Bought my first camper in NJ from a private seller and paid the sales tax when I registered it in NY. Bought our current motorhome from a dealer in PA. Didn't pay sales tax in PA. Paid sales tax in NY when I registered it. I asked the PA dealer if I could just pay the 4% PA sales tax. He said no you pay the tax in your home state when you register it (8% NY).
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Live in NY. Bought my first camper in NJ from a private seller and paid the sales tax when I registered it in NY. Bought our current motorhome from a dealer in PA. Didn't pay sales tax in PA. Paid sales tax in NY when I registered it. I asked the PA dealer if I could just pay the 4% PA sales tax. He said no you pay the tax in your home state when you register it (8% NY).
6% In Pennsylvania........
Feel a little better now with only a 2% spread?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
About 2% better...
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #13

In all cases I am aware of the selling dealer sends the title registration papers to the state you are registering the vehicle in. If there are no taxes beyond the state sales tax they will in many cases ask for a separate check for that amount made out to the proper state DMV and send it in along with the registration papers.

If the particular county, city, or other municipal government imposes an additional sales or use tax the dealer will usually only send a notification as to the total amount you paid for the RV to your state DMV. The state DMV will in turn send you a notification of the total taxes due including the additional local sales tax and any additional municipal taxes.