Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Outlet Problems

Hello all!

I have a bit of a power issue and would love some help.

So here's the problem: On the one side of the coach, most of the outlets work fine. On the other side, none of them work. For this coach, that means one above the couch on the slide, one by the the kitchen sink, and the outlet in the back bedroom on the left side of the bed don't function. Additionally, a second one in the kitchen on the right side and the only bathroom outlet don't work.

I wish I knew exactly when this happened, but I honestly don't know. There was never a moment of snap or pop, no power outages... I barely even use the outlets aside from charging a laptop, so I doubt it was an issue of overloading.

Some but not all of these non-working outlets have little unofficial looking white labels stuck across them that read "GFI", but only one has the Reset/Test GFCI.

I've checked the fuse box and I don't see any trips or broken fuses. From there...well. I'm a little stumped on what my next step should be in diagnosing the problem.

Anyone have a thought to share? I didn't see anything like this in the forum already, but if I missed it I do apologize. Thanks!
FrayedShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Reset all your breakers, even if they look okay. Also ensure you are getting the right voltage from the post out side, one leg may be off.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you reset the GFCI outlet(s), we have 3 in our MH and 2 control left and right sides of our MH and 1 up front controls the TV and video input area. If 1 of the GFCI outlets on the sides are tripped everything on that side is without power. The GFCI outlet on the drivers side is a floor outlet so it may not be obvious without checking closely.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the outlets you describe, epically those near water and over the couch (I'm guessing the patio outlet also does not work) are GFCI protected,,< Best guess is a tripped GFCI.

IF all else fails turn out most all lights and look for a little red tell-tail light, MOST GFCI outlets (it will most likely be an outlet) Shin when tripped,,, SOME, however, do it the other way.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Tripped circuit

Check GFCI as stated and make sure it "resets". This circuit may also be on an inverter. If so the "breaker" on the inverter may have tripped. Often times a kitchen circuit will be both inverter and GFCI. House panel to inverter to GFCI outlet to GFCI protected outlets. Good luck.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

I had this problem when I first bought my used coach. Intermittent turned into permanent loss of one side of power. RV technician came out to the park and diagnosed the problem as being in my Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter, which was not passing thru 120 VAC due to a burned $190 circuit board.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Make sure you reset the GFCI outlet(s), we have 3 in our MH and 2 control left and right sides of our MH and 1 up front controls the TV and video input area. If 1 of the GFCI outlets on the sides are tripped everything on that side is without power. The GFCI outlet on the drivers side is a floor outlet so it may not be obvious without checking closely.
This has been my guess too, but it's been a few months of hunting, and so far I've only found that one outlet with a Reset option. You're probably right though, Easy Rider, in regards to that sneaky floor outlet. And the minute I give up and call someone in is the minute I find that one outlet I never noticed before...
FrayedShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Have you checked all of the wires in the breaker box to make sure they are tight? For about fifteen dollars at Home Depot you can buy a 120 volt tester that you hold against a wire or push into an outlet to test for power. Be sure all power is off before you touch any wiring in breaker box.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

Get yourself a GFI tester and check again it should tell you if it's working properly.

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #10

Check your wiring at the inverter. It might be a loose connection in the wiring harness.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

It also just occurred to me. If you have fuses, (most inverters do) check for a blown fuse. That would defiantly leave you in the dark. Mine has a modern inverter system, and it has two fuses that run power outlets on the passenger and driver side.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayedShoe View Post
Hello all!
I have a bit of a power issue and would love some help.
So here's the problem: On the one side of the coach, most of the outlets work fine. On the other side, none of them work.
Anyone have a thought to share? I didn't see anything like this in the forum already, but if I missed it I do apologize. Thanks!
FrayedShoe
My inverter has 2 "pop-out" 120VAC circuit breakers, (on the inverter itself).
If either trip I loose power to half of the receptacles in my coach.
Yours may be similar??
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #13

No one has yet to mention that it could be a loose or broken neutral. Get a plug tested from home depot and check all outlets the "idiot lights " will tell you if there is power and if you have a neutral or not.
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
No one has yet to mention that it could be a loose or broken neutral. Get a plug tested from home depot and check all outlets the "idiot lights " will tell you if there is power and if you have a neutral or not.
This is a good start.
Outlets are normally wired in series (chained in a string). If there is a lose connection at the first outlet of the string, the rest of them will not work.
Same with a GFI plug. It will provide GFI protection to all of the down stream plugs. They add stickers to the plugs that are protected by a GFI.
Start your debugging at the GFI PLUG because it is the first one of the string.

Using a meter, check for proper voltage on the input terminals of the plug after removing the cover plate. If the voltage is bad here, go Check the inverter.

Dan