Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Outside air coming in thru dash

When driving there is a stream of cool outside air coming from under the dash. I have looked for areas of possible leaks but came up empty. All the potential air leak areas on the firewall appear to be properly sealed with spray foam. Anyone have any ideas or suggestion on where to look or what to do. This outside air leaking in is not so bad during warm weather but when it is cold outside, DW does tend to go on and on about it. Thanks John 2006 Monarch SE 30 PPD V10

catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
During cold weather doesn't it change to warm air when the heater switch is turned to the Red area?

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
cantonine.......You need to stick some VERY bright lights under the dash when its dark. Go out to the firewall and see if there is any light. If so, use some spray foam and once its dry (next day), spray over it with rubberized undercoating available at your local auto parts store.

Also make sure that you're not getting any air leakage from around the doghouse cover. It could be blowing out the front of the cover and up under the dash. Generally this would be warm air, but in the winter, it could feel cold.

If all that doesn't work, buy her a blanket and a ski mask!
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Push the recycle air button on the heater controls and it will more than likely stop the cold air. (only works while engine is running)
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had cold January air coming in through the vents. I then set the air to re-circulate.. That fixed it.....

Update... I just looked above and noticed someone else had the same issue.
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
The air coming in has nothing to do with vents, it is finding its way in from the outside. Diplomat Don I have not tried what you suggest but will try and do that tonight. Oh, I tried to get her to use a blanket but she still grumbles about the air. Since nothing is on as far as the dash heater/ac is concerned I have not tried the recycle method but I will. This air leak does not bother me but since it does the DW, I really need to get it stopped if at all possible because while the air does not bother me, she does. Thanks, John 2006 MonarchSE 30 PPD
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Could the leaks be into the heating/cooling system of the engine heater/air conditioner? Could air be bypassing the heater core and blowing directly inside from the vent or other openings?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
SKP I dont think so. The air coming in is coming thru the firewall somewhere that a spot was missed when it was sealed up. I am going to take some expanding foam and apply it to all areas that I can get to that already have been sealed. I tried the sugggestion offered regarding a bright light but could not see any light coming thru anywhere. I have been trying to get this fixed from soon after I got the motorhome but nobody seems to be able to fix the problem. Thanks. John 2006 Monarch
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
agree with light mine had a gap at the top of the firewall where the dash meets it

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote