Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Outside Storage Compartment Lining

I have searched but haven't found a thread discussing lining the outside storage compartments with felt, rubber, or some other material. Have others done this? Pros/Cons? Advice?
Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss View Post
I have searched but haven't found a thread discussing lining the outside storage compartments with felt, rubber, or some other material. Have others done this? Pros/Cons? Advice?
to what end? insulation? to guard againt dings and dents? I cut pieces of heavy cardboard to fit the floors of my exterior compartments to protect against spills, dirt, crud, etc.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am interested also, my storage compartments are just hard plastic and stuff slides all over the place.
Flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
to what end? insulation? to guard againt dings and dents? I cut pieces of heavy cardboard to fit the floors of my exterior compartments to protect against spills, dirt, crud, etc.

Keep things from sliding around, quiet it down, & look neater. Mine are all sheet metal.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine are carpeted, floors and sides. OEM.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
yeah, carpet remnants or indoor-outdoor carpeting might work for the OP.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Is the carpet glued in or attached some other way?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss View Post
Is the carpet glued in or attached some other way?
Glued
Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
OEM glued grey carpet to all surfaces.

Another surface to vacuum once a year, but cannot imagine not having the feature.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
OEM glued grey carpet to all surfaces.

Another surface to vacuum once a year, but cannot imagine not having the feature.
Agreed; only way to go.[emoji2]
Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up some thin rolled rubber I think I purchased at Tractor Supply - they sell it be the foot. I also used some of the rubberized truck bed spray and or truck bed liner spray on (both are Rustoleum products) with pretty good results. A piece of carpet on top of those products is the best because it stops the carpet from sliding.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I lined my entire basement and roto cast cargo holds with eco-fiber rug padding 1/2" thick, from rug padusa.com. This is the same padding that is used under all auto carpets for it's insulation and sound deadning capabilities. They will cut the pieces to your sizes which saves a lot of time.On my coach the basement bays go across to roto cast cargo areas on each side, I had them cut pieces to my desired width and leanth so that each end folds down into cargo hold on each side, then I cut pieces to fit sides and bottom of roto cast cargo holds. I used 3-m spray glue to hold sides to rotocast cargo holds and left bottom pieces loose so they can be removed if they get wet or dirty. This padding has a coarse side and a soft side,I installed it with coarse side exposed as it is very durable and holds up very well to the abuse of sliding chairs etc in and out. Since doing this the basement is much warmer and holds the warmth longer, has made the ride quieter and the cargo stays put. I had a heat duct that went to the basement that I have rerouted because the basement actually was getting too hot, and staying hot, now in cold weather I have a small electric heater in the vaccum generator bay which is across from wet bay and has black, gray,and fresh water in centerline area so the area is very easy to heat. I did not use eco fiber in wet bay,instead I put armoflex rubber sheeting in there, keeps that area warm, and pieces can be easily removed and washed. total cost if I remember correctly was about $150.00 for padding and a couple cans of spray glue at about $20.00. This eco-fiber pad is made from new carpet scrap from mohawk co. and is heat bonded into shape. I was going to cover the pad with gray/cheap carpet from lowes but decided it was not necessary. Hope this info helps.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #13

Tractor Supply has several types / thicknesses of "stall mats" that may work. If you go to a store, ask for help, as they are often stored outside.

I cut up a thick one to use as a soft jack pads (to protect pavers or decorative concrete) which was a lot of work with a razor knife. The thick one is proably a bit much for basement lining........

Regards

Search Results for stall matÂ*at Tractor Supply Co.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Well Gang,
Mine are all carpeted from the factory too. I took it one step farther. I kind-a like my stuff a bit organised so I can find it when I want it. So, a few home made brackets, some store bought ones and, you see what you see. Just makes for easier camping/traveling. When you want a tool, some WD-40, trans oil etc., you know exactly where it is.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage