Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #15

I have used Prompt RV Sunscreens on my last two motorhomes. Mine are black and they install quickly while standing on the ground. My present ones are over five years old and still look like new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #16

For those interested, I finally installed by new MCD screens this evening and it took a little over an hour to install all of the snaps and put the four screens in place. They fit and look great. They come with suction cup snaps to be used to put the screen in place before drilling any snap holes.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours are a dark brown to match the coach and are held on with snaps. They were a Godsend when we traveled through az, nm, tx, la, al, ms, fl, and sc. DW like them for the privacy on the windshield as well as the insulation.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #18

Exterior screens are not needed with the interior MCD shades. They cover the inside windshield with both the day and night shades. The other day we stopped for fuel at a Flying J and I simply lowered the solar screen to block the sun while my husband fueled the coach. It was great. We use them as a sun visor too while we drive. No more spaces where the sun sneaks through to blind me. We have them in the house portion of the coach as well and I leave the solar screens down all the time so I always have solar protection.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The interior MCD screens are what we now have in our coach. These screens are so good at keeping the heat out that there's no reason for me to ever consider the exterior screens. They go up and down with the push of a button and do an excellent job. We have them on the entire interior and they are very high quality. You can easily see through them, even at an angle, yet they block the sunlight from coming in. They also act as privacy shades during the day because you can see out but no one can see in. At night, when the coach interior is lit up we deploy the night shades for total light blocking.

I've done some temperature sampling on both sides of the sun screens and there is a huge difference. It also keeps the cold out in cool weather. I tend to think of the MCD sunscreen as "transparent insulation". The MCD shades were easily one of the best upgrades we've ever done to our coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #20

Had MAGNE SHADES installed recently. Love them. The magnets work great. Had stroke 7 years ago today. Don't climb ladders. Easy to put on and remove.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
which outside color would keep the winshield cooler?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #22

Really don't know. Have only used the black.
Understand this poly fabric won't fade. Black blocks the most light.
After you get it on the windshield you can adjust/tighten so there are no folding wrinkles.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
There is a difference with interior & exterior shades. The sun sends out shortwave radiation, what we feel as heat. Once shortwave radiation passes through glass it turns into longwave radiation. Longwave radiation can not pass through glass so it is trapped in this case inside the MH. With exterior shades the shortwave radiation is blocked from traveling through the glass. With interior shades the shortwave radiation is trapped, as longwave radiation, between the glass and the shade. This trapped heat can radiate out the side of the shades and heat the MH. If this trapped heat gets high enough it can crack glass. I had a cracked windsheild in my pickup do to heat buildup between the shade & glass. That is why there is such a high tep. difference between the glass and shade on one posters MH. The Exterior shades will do a better job of preventing heat from entering the MH and therefore keep the MH cooler.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We ot the Prompt screens while near Winter Haven. We got black. It is amaising how much of the suns heat it keeps out , and it's easy to install.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #25

What "debaets" said
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I have used the magnets for a screen in the shower skylight. The screen mounted on the inside of the shower. One time during installation the magnets got attracted my money clip in my pocket which is where I carry my credit/debit cards. Well the magnet erased all my credit card strips so they all had to be replaced. Now I take out my clip before I get anywhere hear the magnets.

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote