Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our oven, a Majic Chef, seems to either to be too hot or not hot enough. This eithers results in over cooked/baked or under cooked/baked.

I have experiemented with slight changes to the temp settings with little luck or improvement.

I suspect the thermostat is very inaccurate, but our dealer long ago said all is OK after they tested the oven.

Having just baked a cake for 45 min that at home takes 25 minutes, I know there is a problem. I checked for heat loss around the rear vent the door, but found nothing.

Any ideas out there?

I am ready to install a digital thermometer to see what the "real" temp is.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our oven, a Majic Chef, seems to either to be too hot or not hot enough. This eithers results in over cooked/baked or under cooked/baked.

I have experiemented with slight changes to the temp settings with little luck or improvement.

I suspect the thermostat is very inaccurate, but our dealer long ago said all is OK after they tested the oven.

Having just baked a cake for 45 min that at home takes 25 minutes, I know there is a problem. I checked for heat loss around the rear vent the door, but found nothing.

Any ideas out there?

I am ready to install a digital thermometer to see what the "real" temp is.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #3

I think you are on the right track by checking the temp with a digital thermometer first--one of those ones that has a probe on a long lead that you can suspend in the oven with the "gauge" outside.

Is it consistent with being either too hot or too cold at particular settings, or does it seem to vary all over the place? If it is consistent, I guess you could "learn" what to set it to, to get a particular real temp.

Otherwise there must be a problem with the thermostat, or possibly the propane supply (IMHO--I'm no expert).

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #4

I read this in Christopher Kimball's Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook. He bought 3 different oven thermometer to check a new oven he had bought. All showed different temps (25 to 40 degrees cool). The tip can from the service man who used his expensive measuring device.

To calibrate your oven: purchase 2 cans of refrigerator biscuits (the whop-em-on-the-counter type). Follow the directions exactly and then bake your first batch. Since this recipe has been tested a thousand times, the timing will be perfect if your oven is properly calibrated. If not, adjust your oven up or down, give it time to adjust, and then bake the second batch. You should now have an accurate reading of how far off your oven is.

With a layer of quarry tile on the floor of my oven (above the burner) My oven seems to run 25 degrees cooler than the temp shown on the dial. I do have an oven thermometer in the oven (and my digital one shows the same temp). I just set the dial up by 25 degrees.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #5

I added a "red" 12" x 12" tile bought at Lowes above the burner---now things don't burn--spent $3.oo
thermostat seams to be very close
rich
Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lamont:
I added a "red" 12" x 12" tile bought at Lowes above the burner---now things don't burn--spent $3.oo
thermostat seams to be very close
rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I added a digital thermometer and one of the 12 inch square unglazed tiles. I now seem to get more uniform heat and with the new thermometer I can adjust the temp much better.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Small RV sized ovens heat very unevenly and have both hot and cold spots in the same small space. And it is quite common for the thermostat to be affected by those spots as well, giving even stranger results.

Adding a pizza stone or large clay tile will help even out the heat. You can also adjust the temperature settings yourself - in most models you change the temperature dial rather than the thermostat. Pull the temperature set dial off and look at the back - usually the dial can be adjusted so that it points to a different temperature. Get an oven thermometer and set the oven dial to match. Remember, though, that placing the thermometer is a slightly different place can give a widely different reading.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote