Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Ned

Actually, overdrive works fine. I just can't lock it out.

I am the original owner of this MH with 23,000 miles.

I had never used the overdrive button on the gear selector, but recently tried it and it does not work.

I don't know if it ever worked, I just never had a reason to try it out. The light on the shift lever does not light up and the tranny does not lock out the OD gear. The tranny shift the way it always has - it shifts into all four gears.

Any suggestions??

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Ned

Actually, overdrive works fine. I just can't lock it out.

I am the original owner of this MH with 23,000 miles.

I had never used the overdrive button on the gear selector, but recently tried it and it does not work.

I don't know if it ever worked, I just never had a reason to try it out. The light on the shift lever does not light up and the tranny does not lock out the OD gear. The tranny shift the way it always has - it shifts into all four gears.

Any suggestions??

Thank you.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ned, why wouldn't you want to use overdrive? It would save on gas and on the transmission strain when pulling the TT. I would check the fusing for overdrive. I had it on all my 3 v-10's and never had a problem had Banks trans-command on two and made for smooth shifting. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Ned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Ned, why wouldn't you want to use overdrive? It would save on gas and on the transmission strain when pulling the "007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you misunderstood me. I said overdrive works just fine, I just can't lock it out. In some instances, it's better to lock it out (keeping it from shifting into 4th/high gear), so the tranny doesn't go back and forth on rolling hills where it would be shifting between the two.

On the newer Ford tranny, there's isn't an OD function. It's a five speed with a tow/haul function that affects all the gears, not just locking out overdrive.

My wife always thought the OD button needed to be lit when we were in low gears pulling a hill. I explained, it doesn't do anything except prevent the tranny from going into high gear.
The new trannys have changed, however and do affect all the gears. (at least it does on an '05 superduty F250 and up)
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Ned

I'm still trying to figure this out.

Anyone come across this problem before and have a fix for it??

Ned.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ford tech link

Ned try this link may have something for you.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #7

Ned,

I also have a V-10, that had the same problem about a year ago. The problem is the overdrive cable is located next to the shifter lever, over time, it causes to cable to break. To fix it will take some time, and if you want, go to manufacter dealer ie:Ford. Talk to one of the service reps, they will tell you the same and maybe how to fix it your self. The fix is not that hard, but could if you are not careful, (due to the fact, that you have to remove the key/lock assy), then replace the gear shift lever, and then unconnect the cable. Then reverse the process. It took me about an hour and costed about $38 for the part. Good luck, hope it not too late.

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A belated welcome to irv2 jcroder47
Thanks for you answer to this old post not sure where Ned is, hasn't been on site since April, but maybe he will pick it up.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Ned

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am still wondering how to fix this. When I finish my 4 years of fulltiming, I want to go home via some not so flat roads and really would love to have that OD lock-out.

My OD wires disappear down the steering column and then into the dash. I just wonder if there is a plug or connector to attach the new wires too. That would make it a little more simple.

Ned is here, every now and then. Serving my country in the military is wearing me out and not much time for other things. Hope to make it to 28 years in '08 and call it quits.

Thanks. Ned.