Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #1

The motorhome I just bought has overdrive; I tow a small pickup.
When towing, do I engage the overdrive or do not use the overdrive?
It seems to shift up and down a lot if I leave the overdrive on.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #2

I'd say listen to what your motorhome is telling you. Our toad, before it became a toad was a tow, as in towing a boat that is. It has overdrive and I wasn't sure about whether to use it our not. It did good on the straight and level, but add in some ups and downs, and it was always shifting. I figured it knew what was best and so only used overdrive on the flat stretches.

As always, your results may very.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Consider adding another cooler to the transmission. The heat of the constant changing will get you.
I hauled equipment for a local dealer with a gooseneck flatbed and my PS F-250 for a while. Forgot and left it in OD for several miles on one trip and when I stopped at a red light, the ole girl refused to move. Transmission fluid all over the road. $2500 dollars later we are whole again with a better transmission and larger cooler.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My owners manual says to turn the OD off if it's downshifting often. That only happens on stretches were the grade is changing a lot so it is on most of the time.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by doc:
Consider adding another cooler to the transmission. The heat of the constant changing will get you.
Also consider changing your tranny to full synthetic. Heat is the #1 tranny killer.

When I changed out my Ford 7.5L, the engine temp hardly moved when climbing the same grade that caused a 30+ degree increase on fossil oil. I figured if I could do the same for the tranny, Mobil 1 was far cheaper than a new transmission, which, in this day and age, is a heck of a lot more than $2,500. Also, I'm adding a tranny temp gauge next time in the shop.

Another consideration: an acquaintance of mine tore out his O/D trying to tow with it on. At that time, it was a $1,000 bill and change to fix it, no idea what it would be now. Trust me, you will save NOthing in gas, certainly not enough to cover the repair bill.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #6

Smile

Hi, I have been a truck / auto mechanic for 30 + years. Simply put the trans should not be shifting up and down all of the time. If yours is constantly shifting in and out of OD you should down shift out of OD. OD should otherwise be used as much as possible. I always manually shift down if the trans starts to hunt back and forth or when the grade starts to change the engine load. I completely agree that heat is the number one enemy and installing a Trans Temp gauge is a great idea. Also Synthetic ATF is a good idea.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote