Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Overhead speakers (not all working)

Oh where to start...I have a 2002 Damon Escaper. I have asked for some help on here before but not quiet like this. The system:

1) Dash radio - Pioneer Stereo with removable head
2) Sony 10 Disc CD Changer (wired separately)
3) Direct TV network system not presently subscribed to
4) Automatic satillite tv auto tracking satilite receiver in dome
5) RCA VCR tape player
6) Flexvision (splitter I think) for two tv's and vcr
7) Pioneer VSX-D510 Digital Signal Processor
8) Pioneer DV-343 DVD Player
9) Five overhead speakers, 3 right over the drivers and passengers seats and two over the dining table and cook stove roughly half way back from front drivers chair.

Okay now the nightmare...I think? Only one speaker works regardless of what is used. All items mentioned with exception of the satillite system for TV receiption only works on the speaker above the dining room set. If you are driving and turn on the radio...same speaker, if you watch DVD, same speaker. I have never had sound from any other speaker and don't know why. I was getting ready to try and remove the speakers but I'm afriad I'll break something becuase I don't know how they are held on ceiling. I was going to check wires and use a phone toner to find them under the dash if that's at all possible. Is there such a thing as a wire schematic from Damon? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Olpapa

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Olpapa,
Gut feel says the speakers are okay. I'd focus on the radio first and then the other components.

When playing the radio, do any of the other components need to be on?

Do you have instructions on how to set up the sound system?

Have you tried leaving the sound system on and playing the radio at the same time?

For me, I'd go into the radio setup and determine if the radio is broadcasting to the speakers. Next I'd go into the setup for the surround system and determine if the system is broadcasting to the speakers.

It took me quite some time to get my system working "correctly". This was not necessarily the way I thought it should work.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a Pioneer home theater (House radio) then you will also have a speaker transfer switch somewhere in the mess (Up front) please do not ask me where, and quote possible a power amplifier for the dash radio (that is under the dash)

Possible issues are: Improper settings on teh house radio/home theater system, this will affect all but the dash radio and of course the television if you use its speakers (I can not convince my wife that the vastly superior Pioneer home stereo 5.1 system has better sound quality than the tiny system in the Toshiba TV.. She refuses to even consider it)

The other posibility is that transfer switch.. I've not yet located it,, Don't know if it's operated by the ignition switch or by the "Acc control" line on the radio (This is a switched output line on the radio) In either case... It could be the problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Good suggestions guys...I've not tried to operate two at once or even turn two one. As for the dash Pioneer, I don't believe it is a house radio, the stacked sony cd player may be but I can't say for sure. I'll do some checking for your suggestions...thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Well, I have a damon, and NO it didn't have a wiring diagram. Just 'hashed' together as far as I can tell. Not all my speakers worked either, and the problem was at the radio. they were not all hooked up and a couple of them were WRONG!! I replaced the radio (to get rid of the cassette) and now have AM/FM/SM/CD(one single) and all the speakers now operate. Problem is you probably have wires under/behind the dash 'dangling' and not connected. It will be painstakingly difficult to find the wires. One clue though was all the cables were at least audio "zip" type cord and that helped me find the ones not connected. Good Luck

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with HamDave (But then I'm a Ham and my last name is DAVis so I guess I would,, My pen name is Dave when I get published (which happens)

It appears to be a hack job (Hashed together)

I drive a 2005 Intruder, the speakers are switched so using both at one time is not going to happen.. but if the switch is defective (A simple relay) then only some of the speakers will work. Where they hid the expletive deleted relay I do not know.

Of course there are other possible answers as well.

1: Broken wires
2: Blown speakers (Burned out, there are two ways to blow a speaker)
3: Blown output stage, the big amplifier under the dash (Affects only dash radio)
4: Blown output stage or blown pri-amp (Only on device not working properly)
5: Seeriously mis-adjusted settings on Device not working properly.

Question: Does this "one speaker" thing affect ONLY the dash, ONLY the Home theater or BOTH

NOTE: on the Pinoeer home theater it can take some serious messing with the settings to get it all to work.. I know I messed mine up,, There is one button on the panel you do NOT want to touch, ever.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
First, thank you all...since my post, I have not had a chance to go out and try all these suggestions. Since I still work and sometimes that keeps me from doing anything for up to two weeks at a time, I generally can only work or look at it in the evenings or on weekends...until work slows down.

The one speaker is the only speaker that works with whatever you play, I have not tried to play multiple things at once and that will be one of my tests. I did go outside and look under dash, I have seen some disconnected wires but they are not 'speaker' wires. I know it sure would be nice if you could remove the cover on the dash to make it easier to get to...however, I do plan to get label tape and mark and trace as many as I can.

With your suggestions, I have a funny feeling the 'Sony CD' aftermarket may be some of the issues...not sure

I do know, only one speaker plays with TV or Radio or Stereo regardless of speaker selection on Pioneer master control knob...

Will address it in the next few days and post my findings...

Thanks again.

PS - My Ranger Boat is also getting lonely!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you need the proper settings for the Pioneer or do you have the manual?

I'd use the suggested settings in the DAMON manual by the way, they have been "Tweeked" for the actual speaker placement.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I have the Pioneer books but nothing is in the Damon Motorhome book about this at all. I don't believe I have all of the Damon book, just a portion of what originally came with it. Is there a link where I might get ahold of one?

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No link.. Sorry, the books were never scanned into a computer it seems. I will see if I can get to mine tomorrow.. The settings are close, The pioneer ones will work they are just optimized for a different shaped room is all.. Personally, I can't tell the difference, some can.

One of the tings that messes me up is a button that does not appear on the remote, It is on the front panel of the amplifier/tuner though. I think it is called "Advanced Surround Sound" it is a 3 or 4 position round robin thing and only one of them works properly. But this would not affect the dash radio.. Just cd's and house radio and other things using the home theater.