RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Overnight Stealth Boondocking In Nice Residential Neighborhoods?

Has anybody tried showing up on a quiet suburban street in a fairly affluent neighborhood late at night and park in front of someone's house, then leaving early in the morning just as you would at a Walmart?

It seems to me that if you have a fairly new and good looking RV that the neighbors would just assume you were the guests of one of their neighbors. They might not even notice you were there.

Comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #2

Allowing that will open it up to abuse. Affluent areas have driveways.

If your in a driveway or side yard, OK but not on the street.

Most towns have codes against oversize street parking in residential areas.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

back in the day working dispatch at a local PD the neighboring town required residents to garage their vehicles overnight. no overnight parking on the street or in a driveway. most restrictive ordinance i’ve ever encountered. virtually every town and unincorporated area in my county prohibits ONP on the street without police permission.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If you did that in front of my house, the sheriff would be knocking on your door at 2am telling you to leave
Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Foster View Post
Has anybody tried showing up on a quiet suburban street in a fairly affluent neighborhood late at night and park in front of someone's house, then leaving early in the morning just as you would at a Walmart?

It seems to me that if you have a fairly new and good looking RV that the neighbors would just assume you were the guests of one of their neighbors. They might not even notice you were there.

Comments?

My guess would be that the residents of a "fairly affluent neighborhood" will be keeping a watchful eye on you, and either be knocking on your door and asking questions, or soon be calling the police to do so along with advising you to move along.
Also doubtful it would be tolerated due to commonly strict HOA rules in a "fairly affluent neighborhood".
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you did that in front of my house, the sheriff would be knocking on your door at 2am telling you to leave

That's two of us calling the local Police Department.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

another "NO> NOT AT MY HOUSE

i think i would walk up to your camper with my cell phone in hand... dialing 911 or the sheriff's number... having dialed all but the last number...
and a friend would be nearby for "assistance"
i think the conversation would go.
me: "hey, how ya doin'? "
you: "fine... you?"
me: "hey, i thought i knew you... but, now i'm not sure. what's your name?"
you: "my names paul." (if smarty answer... bad idea.)
me: "paul, i don't think i know you...1.tell me your last name? why you are in front of my place. and 2... are all of your kin, friends, associates, inside this coach... meaning is anybody outside this coach?"
you: "no. we just stopped to rest and we're leaving first thing in the morning."
me: "no. you are a nice guy, but i'm going to stand here. while you drive off, now." "i will be following you until you leave this neighborhood. i already have a picture of your tag number." i'm relaying it to the sheriff dept. as soon as you leave and tell them what happened."
you: "we are leaving right now," would be the only suitable answer...

paul, this is a very bad idea... my neighbors would get nervous quickly...
some would not ask as many questions as i did...
i hope you don't get tempted in the future....
Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Throw some spray paint on it and you can even dump your tanks at the curb in Seattle.......

No Joke

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...meless-people/

https://mynorthwest.com/1529028/rant...homelessness/?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #9

WHY would you want to do this and WHY do you think you can do this?
Especially at your age!

Neighbors in my NOT so affulent neighborhood would be standing around your RV knocking and asking questions
We are a bunch of retired middle class folks that are not just neighbors but friends and pay attention to what goes on.
No STEALTH camping around this area...that is not happening. PERIOD!

No Walmart camping either....city council took care of that WOO-HOO!

Stealth camping........PC name for squatters.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i think i would walk up to your camper with my cell phone in hand... dialing 911 or the sheriff's number... having dialed all but the last number...
and a friend would be nearby for "assistance"
i think the conversation would go.
me: "hey, how ya doin'? "
you: "fine... you?"
me: "hey, i thought i knew you... but, now i'm not sure. what's your name?"
you: "my names paul." (if smarty answer... bad idea.)
me: "paul, i don't think i know you...1.tell me your last name? why you are in front of my place. and 2... are all of your kin, friends, associates, inside this coach... meaning is anybody outside this coach?"
you: "no. we just stopped to rest and we're leaving first thing in the morning."
me: "no. you are a nice guy, but i'm going to stand here. while you drive off, now." "i will be following you until you leave this neighborhood. i already have a picture of your tag number." i'm relaying it to the sheriff dept. as soon as you leave and tell them what happened."
you: "we are leaving right now," would be the only suitable answer...

paul, this is a very bad idea... my neighbors would get nervous quickly...
some would not ask as many questions as i did...
i hope you don't get tempted in the future....
The op did say late at night, how late I don’t know, but where I live nobody would care, might have a picture of your Rv just in case but I wouldn’t care. I’m in a rural area but in a development.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

There has to be a Walmart within 10 or 20 miles. Now I know noit every Walmart permit overnighting (probably because of local ordinances), but many affluent neighborhoods have No Street Parking of ANY VEHICLES from about Midnight to 6AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You could always park in a grocery store lot or on most side streets in smaller towns but not in a neighborhood. You might get away with it if no one saw you drive up and you never turned a light or TV on but who would want to?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
And, in addition to what has already been said, let's work on your definition of 'boondocking'. Or, to camp in the boondocks, or out in the boonies.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #14

Well... if it's legal to park on the street the home owners may be suspicious but there is no violation of local laws. If the HOA doesn't own the public street (I guess then it wouldn't be public), they have no say in what non-HOA members do.

That said, I think it's a terrible idea to go into any neighborhood and stir up folks. Move on, that's why you bought a house on wheels.

Closed Thread

Tags
boondocking