Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Do you have an update or a review on the system yet?
Not yet. I've been working waaaaayy too much and my motorhome is stored in the Kansas City caves for the winter. I promise to follow up though.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #16

Looks interesting, will be watching for this.

And the video has very dramatic music, I now feel the need to go out and do something of great substance!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #17

small owleye camera

The owleyes camera looks quite small compared to the quarter. That's a helpful picture. Let us know when you have a review or video to share.
cody pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #18

Well, we're getting closer to getting the bus out from from storage. We just got our permanent home on the market today and that was sucking up all my spare time. I expect to be diving into the installation within a week or so. I'll take photos and chronicle the task.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #19

A rather impressive system. We sure could use more information on the recorder, if playback was available, the display (size, power requirements, etc), recording time, and the wireless feature (?? from processor to display?? ) or something else. Any night or low light capabilities?

A copy of the installation and instructions manual would be a great help.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
A rather impressive system. We sure could use more information on the recorder, if playback was available, the display (size, power requirements, etc), recording time, and the wireless feature (?? from processor to display?? ) or something else. Any night or low light capabilities?

A copy of the installation and instructions manual would be a great help.
I'll sure know more after installation, but the manual references:

24 hour DVR loop recording and also G-sensor triggered recording with low/medium/high sensitivity settings. A micro SD card is the recording media.

There is a remote control. It accesses the menu system of the OwlEye and to change the birds-eye view manually. It's also used to look at video files, select them, play them back and to select a specific camera to go full screen while watching the video.

There is also a 1/2" square button that is mounted within arms reach and used to manipulate the view while driving. This hasn't been tested yet.

The remote control can also be used to alter the birds-eye view perspective. Blinkers, hazards and reverse gear can also be used to do the same. With blinkers/reverse gear the view can automatically bias the view towards the direction of travel giving a better view.

The camera recording system can be set to remain on while parked for security purposes.

The cameras are 1/3" HD sensors which is respectable. 1/4" sensors are worse for resolution as well as light gathering ability. Of course, 1/2" sensors are better than 1/3" all around.

The video system is 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps. The output from the controller is HDMI or VGA or composite video. Recordings are 1080P @ 15 fps.

Recordings require 3GB/hour, so 24 hour recording will consume 72GB. The manual mentions a 64GB SD card but doesn't mention a 128GB card so???

Power consumption when idle is less than 3ma. 4-channel DVR mode and surround view monitoring draws 500ma. If possible, running this on house batteries sounds like a good idea to me.

Any monitor that accepts VGA, composite or HDMI will work. I bought their 10.1" TFT LCD color monitor. It accepts HDMI/VGA/composite and a USB stick for video playback. I won't know how well it works until I get it in the motorhome in the daylight though. It looks plenty bright enough indoors but only time will tell.

Low light: You'll be impressed. There is no IR filtering with these camera so they are quite sensitive. I've experimented in a dark basement with the only light being the glow from the monitor and I can see myself quite well. I suppose that IR illumination can be added to enhance the already great performance if desired. If doing so, I'd put the illumination at the four corners of the RV to avoid casting glare around the camera lenses though. My existing backup camera has built in surround illumination and all I get is glare and can't see a thing at night.

Thinking forward, I'd rather have a joystick setup instead of the handheld remote control. If I don't like the automated views then I can see me making one someday. But that's just me.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #21

Thank you so much, BonS. Their web site is a bit thin on information, to say the least. A great rundown on the info you provided. Did you get this rundown direct from them or was it stuff in the package you received? I'll be waiting for any info you might be able to give us after you get it installed.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #22

It's from the manual. English is clearly not the first language of the author of the manual. The description of operation is mostly there but it's takes some getting used to. 90% of the manual is about laying out the calibration tape around the RV and performing the actual calibration. It'll take a large open parking lot, long tape measures, a friend or two, and likely all day to get it done. Oh, and several critically-sized sets of stacked boxes strategically placed at special calibration locations to assist with distortion correction. I'll have to start looking to have those in hand before beginning. A replacement set of calibration tapes is $20 and are likely a one-use item. I'd hate to see a camera get bumped at the RV wash after calibration. Perhaps I should have a set of calibration tapes in storage just in case . . .
Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm impressed!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #24

Well, I'm finally started on the OwlEye installation. First thing is to decide where the monitor is to be installed. The first picture shows my cockpit as it is before the installation. On my left is a tablet that I use for GPS and my VMSpc display. I'm not willing to give either of those up so I have to find a location that I can see while driving. My CC dash isn't at all cooperative. The second picture was my only other candidate and the dash blocks some of my view so that's out. Finally I looked up and decided to try to mount the display up high. I have to get into this space anyway when I run the video wires down from the roof. Taking apart the left cabinet revealed a large area and access to route wires down the A-pillar and into the dash to pick up the necessary wires.

The base of the monitor seems flimsy and uses two small screws to attach the base to the pedestal. I decided to discard the base and just use the pedestal. I epoxied two 1/4-20 threaded inserts in place and drilled two holed through the upper cabinet to mount the monitor pedestal. It's plenty strong now.

I'll be mounting the OwlEye controller in this same cabinet since the video cables drop right into this same space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	203581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	203582  

Name:	Img3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	203583   Click image for larger version

Name:	img4.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	203584  

Old 05-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #25

There is already a lot of wiring behind the A-pillar cover so the wiring for the OwlEye will use the same chase for the accessory wiring.

I haven't started to install the cameras yet. I did, however, scout the locations for the cameras. They're all going to be straight forward except for the passenger side. My awning-supports extend several inches from the side of the coach and will block the perimeter view of the camera if I don't do something. I've begun building a small mount that will extend the camera outward so it can see the full length of the coach. No pictures of it yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img5.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	203586   Click image for larger version

Name:	img6.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	203587  

Name:	img7.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	203588   Click image for larger version

Name:	img8.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	203589  

Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #26

A few more pics. The first pic shows the threaded inserts epoxied into the pedestal. The second picture shows the 1/4"-20 screws projecting downward from the overhead compartment. And finally the mounted monitor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img9.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	203590   Click image for larger version

Name:	img10.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	203591  

Name:	img11.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	203592  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #27

One of the custom-coach builders, Foretravel or Newell, offered this as an option a couple years ago. Hate the think of the added cost back then; but then again, if one can afford a custom coach what's a few thousand more?
This will sure make arriving at an RV park after dark and getting a back-in space a piece of cake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #28

Today was spent installing the controller and installing the miscellaneous wiring. If you've ever installed a radio then this would very similar. That said, I haven't yet installed a camera! Since I have an awning support arm that is in the way of the passenger side camera I made an extension to extend the camera just beyond it. The pictures show the camera mount. It's painted to match the coach where it will mount. I don't know if this is necessary or not but I want to do this once and not be sorry later. It'll be tucked up just under the awning cover so it will simply disappear when installed - at least that's what I tell myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img12.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	203730   Click image for larger version

Name:	img13.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	203731  

Name:	img14.jpg