RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Usually these Keep-alive memory circuits draw very little power while the unit is turned off. This can be measured with an inexpensive VOM meter. It seems to me that you could easily install a small separate 12v battery to use in this situation. If the off power draw is small enough (as in a clock) the small battery would last very long, perhaps a year or more. If the draw is too high for that and you are storing outdoors, you could use a small solar panel to keep the small battery charged when in storage. By using this small battery to keep the memory alive, you could still shut down your coach batteries when in storage.
Marc,

If I had bought it and installed it already I'd consider that a good suggestion. At this point I'm more interested in an answer. The OP on the other thread who had installed his had never cut power, so didn't know but said he now was curious.

The OP here, who has also completed the installation, hasn't replied either. I'm not surprised that neither would know about this unless they asked the very specific question. The documentation is silent on this.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #58

I removed the CPU completely and pulled the memory card as well on my self installed Owl Eye. It remembered every thing, including date/time.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #59

Sorry, all, I've been away from this thread for some time. I've had my coach in storage with all power removed from the OwlEye 360 and all data, calibration, time and day/date has been retained, so no problems there. That said, I have been having issues with my Owleye 360 that seems to be a heat / thermal issue. It struggles to keep the correct views displayed. Often, I get a rear view when I'm traveling forward and visa-versa. Sometimes it just rapidly hops from one view to another randomly. I've even disconnected all R/L/Rev signals from the OwlEye and it still jumps around when hot. On startup and everything is at room temperature and all works fine.

I contacted Wireless Prime and they sent me a replacement controller but it has the same problem. It may be just my issue in my bus but I doubt it. For the cost, this should not be happening!

I've removed the electronics from the case to improve air circulation but that hasn't helped much; It just delays the overheating problem. By the way, I originally installed the head unit in my overhead utility space, but this space doesn't have any moving air or receive cooling air from the cabin, so I moved it into the cooled space - but that too hasn't helped much.

Having nothing to lose, I'm going to take my original controller and attach heat sinks to the hot chips and use a small muffin fan to keep it cooler. Hopefully . . .

I might find a fix for this, but until the manufacturer can fix this problem, I no longer recommend the Owleye 360 or any of its clones.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Sorry, all, I've been away from this thread for some time. I've had my coach in storage with all power removed from the OwlEye 360 and all data, calibration, time and day/date has been retained, so no problems there. That said, I have been having issues with my Owleye 360 that seems to be a heat / thermal issue. It struggles to keep the correct views displayed. Often, I get a rear view when I'm traveling forward and visa-versa. Sometimes it just rapidly hops from one view to another randomly. I've even disconnected all R/L/Rev signals from the OwlEye and it still jumps around when hot. On startup and everything is at room temperature and all works fine.

I contacted Wireless Prime and they sent me a replacement controller but it has the same problem. It may be just my issue in my bus but I doubt it. For the cost, this should not be happening!

I've removed the electronics from the case to improve air circulation but that hasn't helped much; It just delays the overheating problem. By the way, I originally installed the head unit in my overhead utility space, but this space doesn't have any moving air or receive cooling air from the cabin, so I moved it into the cooled space - but that too hasn't helped much.

Having nothing to lose, I'm going to take my original controller and attach heat sinks to the hot chips and use a small muffin fan to keep it cooler. Hopefully . . .

I might find a fix for this, but until the manufacturer can fix this problem, I no longer recommend the Owleye 360 or any of its clones.
BonS - I am very sorry to hear about your problems. I decided to return mine when they could not answer the question - it made me think that product support would be dicey.

It is a shame, because while it is not a cheap thing, it is much more reasonably priced than any other option. Of course, the dollars you pay are only part of the price - there is also the time you took to install it and all the time and stress of it not working right.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #61

Thanks Paul, I knew the risk and I was an early adopter but the reward was worth it. I often travel alone, and even when my DW is along, she's not much assistance. So, the birdseye view is quite helpful. Hopefully, the technology will improve and if my cooling ideas doesn't overcome the problem, the I'll still be able to upgrade the "brain" and reuse the cameras. I'll begin my re-engineering later next week and will follow up.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #62

Video processing is a task. Pushing lower end chips usually includes added heat but also has to include stable DC voltage on the board those voltage regulating chips may be part of the issue. Sounds like you are on the right track. Too bad its an issue at all good luck.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #63

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I seriously considered getting this system.

I sent not one but two emails to them asking a question. Not a difficult question, a yes/no question. I got no reply--dead silence. That convinced me that they are not a serious player in the market, and not a company that I wanted to do business with. If they won't answer a simple, easy question, what would they do with difficult problems?
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #64

I've considered newer style direct from China versions but was worried about support . Was listed new 2019 3D birds eye bus camera system. I guess oyleye is not doing fantastic at it either.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I seriously considered getting this system.

I sent not one but two emails to them asking a question. Not a difficult question, a yes/no question. I got no reply--dead silence. That convinced me that they are not a serious player in the market, and not a company that I wanted to do business with. If they won't answer a simple, easy question, what would they do with difficult problems?
I did get a few emails from them - a woman who was identified as the "general manager". She was not able to answer my questions, but did try to get the Chinese manufacturer to provide answers without success.

Mine also had a small fit problem, and given they couldn't answer my questions (raised by their odd installation instructions) I decided to return it. I will say that they acted honourably and the funds have been returned to BestBuy, who have told me they are processing the credit.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #66

A long overdue followup: I experimented with the Owleye and tested for cooling issues but keeping the device cool did not produce positive results. The intermittent issues with stability continued and defied diagnosis - until now.

I kept coming back to the fact that all was well in the beginning. So something changed. Swapping out the controller did not change anything and disconnecting the turn signal and reverse wiring didn't solve anything. The unstable video selection of viewpoint seemed to be somehow related to reverse gear. So, on a hunch I clipped off the connector to the reverse camera. There are four wires: +12V, GND, Video, and a control "trigger" wire for turns, reverse and "high beam" for the front camera. I suspected a short in the cable with the control wire to another. I isolated the control wire and connected the +12V, GND and video to the controller. Wallah! Everything began working normally - for a while.

Eventually, I began to have a problem when using the right turn signal so I performed the same surgery and again - Wallah! I went ahead and removed all the connectors and did the same surgery to all four cameras. Finally, everything works perfectly.

Their cables/connectors are apparently made poorly. The fix that I performed permanently fixes the "false trigger" issue and I still have full trigger functionality. Their quirky method of providing a trigger wire on each end of their video cables was not well executed and I now believe, was behind all my problems. I've driven for several days without any further problems. I'll follow up with the company to give them my "feedback" and maybe they'll fix this issue for others going forward.

If anyone has an OwlEye 360 I'll be glad to detail my repair. Since 2 of 4 cables failed I suspect that anyone with one of these units will experience this problem sooner or later.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #67

I have been looking at some direct from China versions some seem to have same CPU for lack of a better term and newer version at top of food chain. A bus version has 7 cameras 3 for interior all DVR was thinking what could I watch with 3 extra night vision cameras.But its 800 I'm glad you have it sorted out. Seems like the ultimate system . If you figured out for them they should give you some cash back IMHOP. Or a bird dog via promo code from this sight .
If you go to rear camera only does it do fisheye correction and or distance marker grid.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I have been looking at some direct from China versions some seem to have same CPU for lack of a better term and newer version at top of food chain. A bus version has 7 cameras 3 for interior all DVR was thinking what could I watch with 3 extra night vision cameras.But its 800 I'm glad you have it sorted out. Seems like the ultimate system . If you figured out for them they should give you some cash back IMHOP. Or a bird dog via promo code from this sight .
If you go to rear camera only does it do fisheye correction and or distance marker grid.
Yes, there are quite a few sources for the same technology that uses the same basic head unit. The enclosure gives it away. As you likely know, some of the head units don't include buses and trucks. Also, they may not include the long cables needed for an RV. My software has a distance marker grid but it cannot be enabled. Perhaps a software update could fix that.

For any given view the "high beam" button switches between the original fish eye view and the corrected view. I use it a lot. When backing up I'm using everything; Mirrors, OEM backup camera, 3D birds eye, high beam view, and my wife when she's with me. When driving down the highway I use a split screen so I can see both sides of the RV at a glance. Of course, the mirrors always work but it takes two careful looks into the convex mirrors to know what's around me. The birds eye shows me what I want to know at a single glance. Love it!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I have also been looking at this system. The cameras do not stick up. There are 4 cameras one on each side, one front, and one rear. That is wide angle and the software stitches the images together to get that Birdseye view. Not sure how but very neat
The cameras just get the side views. Not the roof. The roof is a static image that is superimposed via the NVR software.
So, if a bird was to land on your AC unit, you won't see the bird in the overhead view.

So, that's why the cameras don't "stick up" because they also aren't displaying a real top image.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #70

BonS, thank you for all the troubleshooting and refinements you've come up with for the Owl Eye. When I first heard about this system, I was really interested in getting it, but as more and more info became available, it seemed that the system developer just didn't have a system that was operational. Perhaps they're just not dedicated enough to get the bugs worked out and give us a workable system. If they take your findings and suggestions and continue with the development they could have a going system no one could beat.

People like you who are willing to work with the system developers are few and far between, but are invaluable to people who develop these way out systems. Most of us don't have the patience or knowledge to do this type job.

Perhaps when Owl Eye matures some and the company becomes more amenable to working with buyers, I'll look at it again. But it seems it's not close to that yet. Thanks again for your efforts.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera